Action Alert: Pass the Equal Rights Amendment
Offense on Women’s Rights: Pass the Equal Rights Amendment
We started the week with good news in the fight for gender equity! Just yesterday, the Nevada State Assembly voted to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment to the United States Constitution, more than three decades after the deadline set by Congress for state ratification.
The Equal Rights Amendment would solidify women’s rights in the U.S Constitution. Congress first passed the ERA in 1972 with a ratification deadline of 1979, which was extended to 1982. But only 35 states voted to ratify it, three short of the requisite 38.
Nevada’s move builds momentum for two resolutions making their way through Congress that would formally extend the state ratification deadline. At a time when women’s rights and reproductive access are under direct attack from the new administration, please support this double-barreled ERA action underway in Congress right now!
“Now more than ever, we need to put women’s rights on the high shelf, out of reach of a president who boasts about sexual assault and reactionary lawmakers intent on rolling back our hard-fought gains,” says Noreen Farrell, executive director of Equal Rights Advocates.
Defending Women’s Rights: Network to Stop School Sexual Violence
Without our rights enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, women and girls across the country must rely on federal enforcement of equality. Young women on college campuses are no different – they rely on the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights to enforce their Title IX right to a safe and equal education.
But under the Trump Administration and Secretary DeVos, young women have no guarantee of strong federal enforcement of this right.
That is why, in partnership with Family Violence Law Center, we are preparing to launch a Network to Stop School Sexual Violence. We will defend students’ rights if the federal government won’t.
NOT YET A MEMBER OF THE TEAM?
Join the Equal Rights Action Team to receive timely information on how you can help defend our hard-fought civil rights.
- Action Alert: Thank OUSD for Listening to Girls... read more
- Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Ghada Saliba-Malouf – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Shellie Onstead and the UC Berkeley Women’s Field Hockey Team – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Women’s March Bay Area Organizers – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- 2017 Champion of Justice: Monique W. Morris... read more
- Action Alert: Protect the Women’s Bureau... read more
- Pushing the Envelope on Equal Pay Laws with Equal Pay Today!... read more
- Fighting for Equal Pay: Amicus Brief Filed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals... read more