Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion
It’s time to celebrate some good news!
Last week, the Washington state legislature passed a comprehensive paid family and medical leave program. The new program allows workers to take up to 12 weeks paid time off work for the birth or adoption of a new child, for the care of an ill family member, or for their own serious health condition.
Paid family and medical leave is essential for working families. Without paid time off, women are too often forced to choose between their jobs and caring for their children or other family members. For new moms especially, fully paid family leave makes it more likely that they will return to work, return to their previous employer, and return with the same or higher wages.
And Washington isn’t alone. Cities and states across the country are moving forward with policies like paid family leave to support the economic security of women, families, and entire communities.
In California, ERA is fighting for SB 63, a bill that would ensure more families can access the state’s existing paid family leave program. If you live in California, tell your Assemblymember to support SB 63 and paid leave expansion.
LAST WEEK’S ACTION
The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has announced that it will no longer focus on investigating systemic violations of civil rights laws at publicly funded schools because they take too much time.
We believe upholding the rights of all students is worth the Department of Education’s time. If you agree, sign our letter to Secretary DeVos.
NOT YET A MEMBER OF THE TEAM?
Join the Equal Rights Action Team to receive timely information on how you can help defend our hard-fought civil rights.
- Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education... read more
- High Schoolers Need to Know Their IX... read more
- Action Alert: Hands Off our Health Care!... read more
- Why Employers Shouldn’t Ask for Salary History from Job Applicants... read more
- Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion... read more
- Fighting for Equitable Schools in California... read more
- Action Alert: Protect Students’ Civil Rights... read more
- Celebrating 43 Years of Equal Rights Advocates... read more
- Action Alert: Thank OUSD for Listening to Girls... read more
- Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more