Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News
With concerns about the Department of Education’s enforcement of Title IX and a massive record release from the University of California about employee sexual misconduct, ERA had a big week of media coverage on the topics of sexual assault on campus and the urgency of defending Title IX.
- Executive Director Noreen Farrell spoke with the Associated Press and The Guardian about the University of California’s public release of employee sexual misconduct records.
While there has been increasing recognition of the epidemic of campus sexual assault in America, the UC records reveal a disturbing pattern in how administrators deal with assailants when they are faculty, Farrell said: “It’s a vicious cycle. How is a college to shift a culture among its students if it’s giving a free pass to its own employees?”
- Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Peterson-Fisher spoke with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette about an amici brief defending the right to Title IX damages that ERA served as primary author on, which was filed this week.
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch talked to BuzzFeed about the backlog of Title IX complaints in OCR and concerns that they might not be adequately resolved under Secretary DeVos.
- Donor Spotlight: How NYC Millennials Made a Difference... read more
- Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News... read more
- Action Alert: Stop Gorsuch... read more
- Action Alert: A Day Without a Woman... read more
- Celebrating ERA Board Member Ghada Saliba-Malouf & All Immigrant Women on International Women’s Day... read more
- Sending a Message to President Trump... read more
- Black Girls Deserve More than Just One Month... read more
- We Must Defend Title IX Rights of Transgender Students... read more
- The Taboo of the Tip... read more
- Holding Sessions Accountable: The Whole World is Watching... read more