Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News
With concerns about the Department of Education’s enforcement of Title IX and a massive record release from the University of California about employee sexual misconduct, ERA had a big week of media coverage on the topics of sexual assault on campus and the urgency of defending Title IX.
- Executive Director Noreen Farrell spoke with the Associated Press and The Guardian about the University of California’s public release of employee sexual misconduct records.
While there has been increasing recognition of the epidemic of campus sexual assault in America, the UC records reveal a disturbing pattern in how administrators deal with assailants when they are faculty, Farrell said: “It’s a vicious cycle. How is a college to shift a culture among its students if it’s giving a free pass to its own employees?”
- Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Peterson-Fisher spoke with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette about an amici brief defending the right to Title IX damages that ERA served as primary author on, which was filed this week.
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch talked to BuzzFeed about the backlog of Title IX complaints in OCR and concerns that they might not be adequately resolved under Secretary DeVos.
- Celebrating 43 Years of Equal Rights Advocates... read more
- Action Alert: Thank OUSD for Listening to Girls... read more
- Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Ghada Saliba-Malouf – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Shellie Onstead and the UC Berkeley Women’s Field Hockey Team – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Women’s March Bay Area Organizers – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- 2017 Champion of Justice: Monique W. Morris... read more
- Action Alert: Protect the Women’s Bureau... read more
- Pushing the Envelope on Equal Pay Laws with Equal Pay Today!... read more