Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News
With concerns about the Department of Education’s enforcement of Title IX and a massive record release from the University of California about employee sexual misconduct, ERA had a big week of media coverage on the topics of sexual assault on campus and the urgency of defending Title IX.
- Executive Director Noreen Farrell spoke with the Associated Press and The Guardian about the University of California’s public release of employee sexual misconduct records.
While there has been increasing recognition of the epidemic of campus sexual assault in America, the UC records reveal a disturbing pattern in how administrators deal with assailants when they are faculty, Farrell said: “It’s a vicious cycle. How is a college to shift a culture among its students if it’s giving a free pass to its own employees?”
- Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Peterson-Fisher spoke with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette about an amici brief defending the right to Title IX damages that ERA served as primary author on, which was filed this week.
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch talked to BuzzFeed about the backlog of Title IX complaints in OCR and concerns that they might not be adequately resolved under Secretary DeVos.
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more
- Demand Equal Pay for Black Women... read more
- Remembering the Whole Wealth Equation on Black Women’s Equal Pay Day... read more
- Speak Out on Black Women’s Equal Pay Day... read more
- Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education... read more
- High Schoolers Need to Know Their IX... read more
- Action Alert: Hands Off our Health Care!... read more
- Why Employers Shouldn’t Ask for Salary History from Job Applicants... read more
- Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion... read more