Democratic Party Commits to Fight for the ERA
80% of Americans incorrectly believe equality of the sexes is guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. And until the Equal Rights Amendment is ratified, that won’t be the case.
While it’s been 93 years since the ERA was first introduced, a renewed call for ratification has emerged, and we’ve made important progress in the fight for gender equality in the Constitution.
Last month, the Democratic Party’s Platform Committee included a commitment to the “fight to secure equal pay for women and – after 240 years – finally enshrine the rights of women in the constitution by passing the Equal Rights Amendment.” This marks the first time the Democratic Party has committed to fighting for the ERA since 1988, and we are hopeful that it will produce real change.
I was proud to testify in front of the Platform Committee, along with ERA Coalition President Jessica Neuwirth, on the widespread harm caused by the lack of constitutional equality for women. This important win comes after a year of work alongside Equal Rights Advocates, the ERA Coalition, and others to pave the way for the Equal Rights Amendment, starting with my presentation at Dreamforce 2015 with Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell.
You can watch my testimony here, and if you agree that we need the ERA now, sign the Change.org petition calling for ratification.
- Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education... read more
- High Schoolers Need to Know Their IX... read more
- Action Alert: Hands Off our Health Care!... read more
- Why Employers Shouldn’t Ask for Salary History from Job Applicants... read more
- Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion... read more
- Fighting for Equitable Schools in California... read more
- Action Alert: Protect Students’ Civil Rights... read more
- Celebrating 43 Years of Equal Rights Advocates... read more
- Action Alert: Thank OUSD for Listening to Girls... read more
- Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more