ERA Launches Close the Gap Campaign for Equal Pay
A sample response might go something like this:
“I fight for equal pay because I work just as hard as he does.”
“I’m a waitress, and if my wages were boosted 13% to match the average waiter’s wages, I’d be able to save more money for college.”
“Equal pay matters to me because my mom, sisters and wife deserve a fair share.”
“Your average working woman will lose around half a million dollars to the gender wage gap in her career. With that money, I could buy a home, care for a sick relative, or send my child to a university.”
“Your average woman working full-time who has graduated from college will lose over $1 million to the gender wage gap. With that money, I could retire comfortably after 40 years of hard work.”
“The average woman loses a million dollars over her career to the gender wage gap. With that money, I could buy a home, care for a sick relative, or give back to my community.”
If you need further inspiration for your video, check out this very important report by the Institute for Women’s Policy Research.
Some other startling equal pay facts, which could make for great video segments as well:
It took 44 years (since the passage of the Equal Pay Act) for the wage gap to close just 19 cents. That’s a rate of less than half a penny a year.
If equal pay for women were instituted immediately, across the board, it would result in an annual $319 billion gain nationally for women and their families.
One year after graduating college, women are paid on average only 80 percent of their male counterparts’ wages, and during the next 10 years, women’s wages fall even further behind, dropping to only 69 percent of men’s earnings ten years after college.
In furtherance of Equal Rights Advocates’ mission to end pay discrimination, we’ve launched a unique social media campaign to highlight pay inequities profession by profession.
According to data from the Department of Labor, women earn less than men for similar work in nearly all common professions. Some of the pay gaps are startling in their size — women chief executive officers, for example, earn 31 percent less than their male counterparts, on average.
You, ERA supporter, can help us Close the Gap and end pay discrimination by joining those who have already held a sign to protest the gap in one of a variety of professions. Snap a photo with your phone, webcam or camera of you holding the sign, and you’ll have helped us raise awareness about this inequity faced by your mothers, sisters, friends and daughters. Men are welcome to hold signs, too!
To see more photos, and to find out more, visit our Close the Gap Facebook photo album.
And while you’re at it, show your support for the national Paycheck Fairness Act, which will close loopholes in the Equal Pay Act (now in its 50th year) and bar retaliation against those who disclose their wages to coworkers. Write your local representative or senator and tell them “I Support the PFA!” A sample letter you can use can be downloaded here. You can find contact information for your local congresswoman or congressman here and here. You won’t be alone — check out this letter, co-signed by a wide range of organizations including ERA, in support of the PFA.
5/10 UPDATE: Today, President Barack Obama issued an executive order requiring the federal government examine possible instances of pay inequity within its own workforce. You can read the order here.
- Michelle Caiola Joins ERA as Interim Legal Director... read more
- Paid Sick Days Victory in California... read more
- Tradeswomen Tuesday: Elly, a Carpenter... read more
- Gov. Brown Signs ERA-Sponsored Education Equity Bill... read more
- Women’s Equality Day: Where Would We Be Without the Vote? #WEmatter... read more
- This Week’s Feminist Reads: Mo’ne Davis, Maryam Mirzakhani, and Michael Brown... read more
- Take Action! Urge Gov. Brown to Sign SB 1349 and Support Young Women Athletes... read more
- Take Action! Living Wage Jobs for Women Who Deserve a Second Chance... read more
- Photo Slideshow: 40th Anniversary Luncheon... read more
- We’re Hiring!... read more
- What “Supervisor” (And the Fair Employment Protection Act) Means to Marginalized Women Workers... read more
- On Title IX’s Birthday, Let’s Remember It Covers K-12 Too... read more
- Virginia Judge Greenlights ERA Suit Against Defense Contractor... read more
- The Countdown! One Week Until #WomenForward... read more
- Another Great Win for ERA-Sponsored ‘Let Her Work’ Bill... read more
- Executive Director Featured in UC Hastings Online Magazine... read more
- Sexual Harassment and Assault Survivors Profiled by Seattle’s KIRO-TV... read more
- Bill for Women Who Want to Work Scores Win... read more
- International Workers’ Day: A Holistic Approach to Supporting Women Workers... read more
- Support California’s SB 1384 and Support Women Who Want to Work... read more
- Equal Pay Day: White House Moves to Close Wage Gap, But Work Remains... read more
- New State Bill, Co-Sponsored by ERA, Protects Unpaid Interns... read more
- Save the Date: 40th Anniversary Annual Luncheon, Keynote Anita Hill, June 17... read more
- ERA Hosts Premiere of New Film on Anita Hill... read more
- New Case: Shipyard Workers Breaking Through the Boys’ Club... read more
- Missing from the Women’s Agenda: The Threat of Sexual Violence at Work... read more
- New Case: Conductor Fired from International Tour for Pregnancy... read more
- In Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: Let Her Work... read more
- Leading Low-wage Women Worker Advocates Join Forces within Restaurant Industry... read more
- 2013 Legislative Victories: A Good Year for Women and Families... read more
- It Makes a Great Difference: Protecting Pregnant Workers... read more
- Introducing: Skadden Fellow Joelle Emerson and ERA’s Immigrant Women Workers’ Rights Project... read more
- Ruth Chance Law Fellowship Application Deadline Approaching... read more
- Support the FAMILY Act and Remove the Impossible Choice... read more
- Tell Governor Brown to Sign These Bills Into Law... read more
- U.S. Census Bureau Reports We Must Wait Another Day for Equal Pay... read more
- We’ve Celebrated Another National Women’s Equality Day, But Pay is Far From Equal... read more
- Lucy Marsh Supporters Prompt Promise of Reply from University... read more
- Ban the Box and Let Her Work... read more
- The Fatherhood Penalty, and a Bill to Halt Caregiver Discrimination... read more
- Supreme Court Shockers This Week Beg the Question: What Would Wendy Davis Do?... read more
- Equal Pay Today! Update: Montana Governor Takes Action to Close Its Gender Wage Gap... read more
- Noreen Farrell’s HuffPo Op-ed: We Want Equal Pay Today!... read more
- String of Settlements Secured for Working Women... read more
- Important State Bills for Families Advance in Legislature... read more
- Close the Gap! New Sponsors, Honorees and Guests Join the Annual Luncheon... read more
- ERA Launches Close the Gap Campaign for Equal Pay... read more