2016 Impact: Policy Reform Campaigns That Will Benefit Millions
A pay raise for 6.5 million minimum wage workers in California
Protection for 200,000 janitors from sexual violence
Education equity reforms benefitting 30,000 students
ERA’s efforts in 2016 brought significant policy victories at the national, state, and local levels and reforms within industries that will benefit millions.
As chair of the Equal Pay today! campaign, we are working alongside partners to close the pay gap, by building state-by-state momentum. The campaign is providing assistance across the country and hosts projects in California, Illinois, New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Minnesota.
In our second year of the Stronger California campaign for women’s economic security, we joined incredible partners to help drive the following wins:
- Passage of a $15/hour state-wide minimum wage
- Extension of the Domestic Worker Bill of Rights, guaranteeing overtime pay for overtime hours
- Expanded access to the nation’s first paid family leave program
- Increased funding for child care
- Repeal of the outdated, racist Maximum Family Grant Rule, denying income assistance to families living in poverty.
We co-sponsored a new California law that will ensure stronger protections against sexual violence for 200,000 janitors.
And at schools, we are partnering with districts to implement policy reforms that will help thousands of girls. We are working with partners and Oakland Unified School District on reforms to address the fact that girls of color disproportionately face discriminatory discipline and sexual harassment. We are also leading reforms at a premier technology high school to revise policies to better support girls interested in STEM subjects and fields.
The Upshot: Policy and practice reform improving the lives of millions and a clear message – We relentlessly pursue reforms needed to help vulnerable communities, no matter who is in political office.
- The Taboo of the Tip... read more
- Holding Sessions Accountable: The Whole World is Watching... read more
- We Will Continue to Fight Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- The Shameful, Sexist Silencing of Sen. Warren... read more
- The Next 4 Years for Women and Girls: ERA is Ready with New Initiatives and Boots on the Ground... read more
- Sessions and DeVos Threaten Decades of Progress for Women and Girls... read more
- Judge Gorsuch’s Troubling Record on Women and Workers’ Rights... read more
- It’s a Constitutional Crisis in the Making – Stop What You’re Doing and Call Your Senator Now... read more
- The Women’s March 2017: Building a Movement for Equality... read more
- Celebrating Policy Wins for Women & Families... read more