Senior Staff Attorney
Position Summary & Background
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is seeking an outstanding, experienced litigator with demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy to assume a leadership role on our legal team as a Senior Staff Attorney. The successful candidate will be responsible for crafting litigation strategy and working with the Legal Director to set advocacy priorities and targets to protect and expand economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls. This position offers a unique opportunity to develop and engage in high-impact litigation on key civil rights, economic security, and gender justice issues in a thriving organization with creative, dedicated staff and a supportive work environment. There is some flexibility in job title and potential for growth in this position for candidates who have the capacity and are interested in assuming greater management responsibilities. The position is based in San Francisco, where ERA was founded in 1974. For more information about ERA, visit www.equalrights.org.
- Conduct impact litigation and identify and develop potential new cases and litigation opportunities, including amicus briefs, that advance the strategic priorities of ERA’s Women at Work and Strong Girls initiatives;
- Train and supervise the litigation and direct legal services work of junior staff attorneys, as well as ERA legal fellows and law student interns;
- Work with ERA attorneys, fellows, law clerks, and pro bono volunteers to provide advice and counseling to individuals on issues relating to gender discrimination in employment and education;
- Undertake and support other ERA legal staff in conducting community outreach and education on issues related to gender discrimination in education or employment and developing training and self-help materials on these issues for advocates, organizers, and lay audiences;
- Provide legal analysis, technical assistance, and thought leadership on substantive issues related to ERA’s mission to attorneys, government agencies, officials and staff, the media, worker and student organizations, and grassroots advocates nationwide;
- Work closely with ERA’s legal and non-legal program staff to develop and implement communication strategies that promote and magnify the impact of ERA’s legal work;
- Assist ERA’s development team in writing and reporting on grants that support our legal work, as needed.
- J.D. and active bar membership.
- Track record of substantial impact litigation experience, including experience in federal court.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, gender, and racial justice with a passion for achieving equity and economic justice for women and girls.
- Experience engaging in legal advocacy on subject matters related to ERA’s mission, such as defending and expanding employment and education-related civil rights, protecting and advancing racial justice, immigrant rights, and women’s economic security, and combating gender-based violence.
- Proven ability to serve as lead or co-lead counsel in all phases of civil litigation and to successfully lead strong litigation teams that include individuals of varied levels of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to identify novel and innovative litigation approaches and opportunities, including by analyzing legislation or other events for potential impact case opportunities and identifying legal tools to address and respond to emerging trends, complex fact patterns, and changing socio-political landscapes.
- Superior legal research and analytic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak persuasively and clearly to a range of audiences.
- Experience supervising, training, and/or mentoring attorneys, law fellows and law clerks.
- Experience working directly with clients from diverse backgrounds and populations, including communities of color, low-wage workers, immigrants, and LGBTQI individuals.
- Experience working with external co-counsel or in coalition settings with multiple organizational partners.
- Ability to give feedback and resolve conflicts constructively.
- Ability to travel (in-state frequently; out-of-state, occasionally) as needed.
The Ideal Candidate Will Also Possess:
- Membership in California bar or willingness to become admitted in California.
- Creativity and excellent judgment in developing and executing litigation strategies.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative, with the ability to create work plans and meet deadlines under intense time pressure.
- Experience working in a team setting and fostering a collaborative approach to case work and other advocacy efforts.
- Experience with policy advocacy and/or communications work related to litigation preferred but not required.
- Fluency in Spanish, Arabic, or Asian/South Asian language highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits:
ERA offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes health and dental coverage, generous vacation and sick leave, long-term disability and life insurance, a flexible reimbursement plan, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan.
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit (1) a cover letter describing your interest in this particular position and your connection to ERA’s mission, (2) your current résumé, (3) a legal writing sample of no longer than 10 (double spaced) pages, and (4) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line of your e-mail message. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls, please.
ERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to maintaining and recruiting a diverse staff. We particularly encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, individuals from the LBGTQI community, and others whose background may contribute to more effective representation of women and girls from underserved and marginalized communities.
- Action Alert: Thank OUSD for Listening to Girls... read more
- Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Ghada Saliba-Malouf – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Shellie Onstead and the UC Berkeley Women’s Field Hockey Team – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- Women’s March Bay Area Organizers – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree... read more
- 2017 Champion of Justice: Monique W. Morris... read more
- Action Alert: Protect the Women’s Bureau... read more
- Pushing the Envelope on Equal Pay Laws with Equal Pay Today!... read more
- Fighting for Equal Pay: Amicus Brief Filed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals... read more