We Will Continue to Fight Campus Sexual Assault
Yesterday, the unthinkable happened. Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Secretary of Education.
DeVos has a long history of supporting private schools at the expense of public education. At her confirmation hearing, she lacked basic knowledge about federal civil rights laws designed to protect our kids. She has given every indication that she will weaken critical guidelines established by the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights to combat gender-based discrimination and sexual violence on campuses. Indeed, DeVos said it was “premature” to say she would uphold a 2011 guidance that requires colleges to take an active role to prevent sexual assault.
This is unacceptable.
In response, Equal Rights Advocates has partnered with Family Violence Law Center to build a Campus Sexual Assault Attorney Network to defend students’ right to a safe education, free of sexual violence. We will be here for students, even if the Department of Education is not. Sign up to join us here.
With your support, this Network will:
- Conduct outreach sessions on college campuses;
- Train volunteer attorneys to represent sexual violence survivors in Title IX proceedings;
- File preliminary injunctions to force universities to respond promptly and adequately to sexual violence campus complaints;
- Engage students, alumni, parents, and educators as leaders of violence prevention efforts on campuses nationwide.
From jokes made by our president about sexually assaulting women to his assertion that female staff should “dress like a woman,” the current administration has shown a fundamental disregard for – if not outright hostility to – women’s basic human rights.
- Donor Spotlight: How NYC Millennials Made a Difference... read more
- Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News... read more
- Action Alert: Stop Gorsuch... read more
- Action Alert: A Day Without a Woman... read more
- Celebrating ERA Board Member Ghada Saliba-Malouf & All Immigrant Women on International Women’s Day... read more
- Sending a Message to President Trump... read more
- Black Girls Deserve More than Just One Month... read more
- We Must Defend Title IX Rights of Transgender Students... read more
- The Taboo of the Tip... read more
- Holding Sessions Accountable: The Whole World is Watching... read more