We Will Continue to Fight Campus Sexual Assault
Yesterday, the unthinkable happened. Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Secretary of Education.
DeVos has a long history of supporting private schools at the expense of public education. At her confirmation hearing, she lacked basic knowledge about federal civil rights laws designed to protect our kids. She has given every indication that she will weaken critical guidelines established by the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights to combat gender-based discrimination and sexual violence on campuses. Indeed, DeVos said it was “premature” to say she would uphold a 2011 guidance that requires colleges to take an active role to prevent sexual assault.
This is unacceptable.
In response, Equal Rights Advocates has partnered with Family Violence Law Center to build a Network to Stop School Sexual Violence to defend students’ right to a safe education, free of sexual violence. We will be here for students, even if the Department of Education is not. Sign up to join us here.
With your support, this Network will:
- Conduct outreach sessions on college campuses;
- Train volunteer attorneys to represent sexual violence survivors in Title IX proceedings;
- File preliminary injunctions to force universities to respond promptly and adequately to sexual violence campus complaints;
- Engage students, alumni, parents, and educators as leaders of violence prevention efforts on campuses nationwide.
From jokes made by our president about sexually assaulting women to his assertion that female staff should “dress like a woman,” the current administration has shown a fundamental disregard for – if not outright hostility to – women’s basic human rights.
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more
- Demand Equal Pay for Black Women... read more
- Remembering the Whole Wealth Equation on Black Women’s Equal Pay Day... read more
- Speak Out on Black Women’s Equal Pay Day... read more
- Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education... read more
- High Schoolers Need to Know Their IX... read more
- Action Alert: Hands Off our Health Care!... read more
- Why Employers Shouldn’t Ask for Salary History from Job Applicants... read more
- Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion... read more