2017 Luncheon Keynote: Melissa Harris-Perry
We are excited to announce Melissa Harris-Perry as our 2017 Gala Luncheon Keynote Speaker!
Throughout her career in journalism and academia, Melissa has lifted the voices of black women and girls. She has served as a powerful leader in the fight for justice and equality for all, and we are honored that she will be joining us on June 14.
Melissa Harris-Perry currently serves as the Maya Angelou Presidential Chair at Wake Forest University. There she is the Executive Director of the Pro Humanitate Institute and founding director of the Anna Julia Cooper Center. She is the author of the award-winning Barbershops, Bibles, and BET: Everyday Talk and Black Political Thought, and Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America.
In January, Melissa spoke to the crowd at the Women’s March on Washington – watch her speech here.
Melissa hosted the television show “Melissa Harris-Perry” from 2012-2016 on weekend mornings on MSNBC. Her show challenged many political talk shows’ reliance on predominately white and male commentators, instead highlighting a diverse set of experts and guests to tackle challenging topics and the real barriers to equality and opportunity for all.
Melissa Harris-Perry received her B.A. degree in English from Wake Forest University and her Ph.D. degree in political science from Duke University. She also studied theology at Union Theological Seminary in New York. Harris-Perry previously served on the faculty of the University of Chicago, Princeton University, and Tulane University.
Don’t miss the opportunity to hear from Melissa Harris-Perry and celebrate incredible champions for gender justice. Buy your ticket to the 2017 luncheon today.
- Urge CA Gov. Brown to Sign the #TakeTheLead Bills & Combat Sexual Harassment... read more
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more
- In a Nail Biter Finish, #MeToo Bill SB 1300 Heads to Governor... read more
- Statement: Response to Leaked Draft of DeVos’s New Proposed Title IX Rules... read more
- #TakeTheLead: To the Governor’s Desk... read more
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more