2017 Luncheon Keynote: Melissa Harris-Perry
We are excited to announce Melissa Harris-Perry as our 2017 Gala Luncheon Keynote Speaker!
Throughout her career in journalism and academia, Melissa has lifted the voices of black women and girls. She has served as a powerful leader in the fight for justice and equality for all, and we are honored that she will be joining us on June 14.
Melissa Harris-Perry currently serves as the Maya Angelou Presidential Chair at Wake Forest University. There she is the Executive Director of the Pro Humanitate Institute and founding director of the Anna Julia Cooper Center. She is the author of the award-winning Barbershops, Bibles, and BET: Everyday Talk and Black Political Thought, and Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America.
In January, Melissa spoke to the crowd at the Women’s March on Washington – watch her speech here.
Melissa hosted the television show “Melissa Harris-Perry” from 2012-2016 on weekend mornings on MSNBC. Her show challenged many political talk shows’ reliance on predominately white and male commentators, instead highlighting a diverse set of experts and guests to tackle challenging topics and the real barriers to equality and opportunity for all.
Melissa Harris-Perry received her B.A. degree in English from Wake Forest University and her Ph.D. degree in political science from Duke University. She also studied theology at Union Theological Seminary in New York. Harris-Perry previously served on the faculty of the University of Chicago, Princeton University, and Tulane University.
Don’t miss the opportunity to hear from Melissa Harris-Perry and celebrate incredible champions for gender justice. Buy your ticket to the 2017 luncheon today.
- University of Denver Settles Pay Discrimination Lawsuit with $2.6 Million to Women Law Professors... read more
- Lactation Accommodations: A Right, Not a Privilege... read more
- Don’t Miss Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera at Our Gala Luncheon... read more
- Radical Justice Looks Like Centering the Survivor... read more
- This Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Survivors and Allies Have the Power... read more
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Equal Pay Day... read more
- On Eve of Equal Pay Day, Equal Rights Advocates Celebrates Victory for Fair Pay with En Banc Ninth Circuit Decision... read more
- Don’t Miss Our 2018 Annual Gala Luncheon!... read more
- Guest Post: From Hollywood to Academia, Power Structures of Sexual Harassment Remain the Same... read more
- ERA Sues Sacramento School District for Civil Rights Violations after Sexual Assault... read more