July 19, 2018 ⋅ 9:00 – 11:45 a.m.
DeVos Lawsuit Hearing & Press Event, hosted by Equal Rights Advocates
Join Equal Rights Advocates and allies in San Francisco next Thursday morning (July 19) for a hearing that will decide whether our lawsuit against Betsy DeVos and the Dept. of Education can continue forward. We’re suing DeVos for putting student sexual violence survivors at risk by rolling back Title IX protections and instituting new policies that discriminate against survivors and assume women are lying when they report rape.
The federal government is trying dismiss our lawsuit on ridiculous grounds. Among other reasons, they say their discriminatory policies actually benefit civil rights organizations by ours by giving us an opportunity to pursue our mission of opposing sex discrimination. Show your support for student survivors by attending this public hearing and press conference! Read more about the lawsuit here. Read about the government’s attempt to dismiss the lawsuit here.
- Location: Phillip Burton Federal Building (federal courthouse) – 450 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco, CA
- Hearing: 9:00 a.m., Courtroom F (No photos or recording allowed in courtroom)
- Press Conference: 11:30 a.m., outside front of courthouse, Golden Gate Ave. side
July 12, 2018 ⋅ 1 pm – 3 pm
Closing the Gender-Race Wage Gap, hosted by the UC Berkeley Labor Center as part of the 37th Annual Western Regional Summer Institute on Union Women (SIUW) held July 10-14.
- Location: Sonoma State University – Rohnert Park, CA
- Join ERA’s Legal Director Jennifer Reisch for a workshop exploring how union members and leaders can help workers and employers identify, evaluate, and address gender and race pay disparities within organizations and industries.
- For more information or to register, visit laborcenter.berkeley.edu/siuw/
Check back for additional events!