Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education
Last week, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos and her staff made it clear that when it comes to campus sexual assault, they will choose the side of the rape apologist over protecting survivors of campus sexual assault.
Between meetings with so-called “men’s rights activists,” Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Candice Jackson made the sexist and false claim that 90% of reported campus sexual assaults are fabricated.
“90 percent of [campus gender violence reports] fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk,’ ‘we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.”
Jackson leads the federal agency tasked with upholding students’ right to equal access to education, free of sexual violence. Not only is this statement untrue and offensive, it perpetuates the kind of thinking that throws roadblocks in the way of Title IX violation investigations.
While we continue to call on Secretary DeVos and her colleagues to strongly enforce Title IX, we’re also working to ensure students’ rights are upheld no matter what happens at the federal level.
In 2011, the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights issued a critical guidance called the Dear Colleague Letter. This letter outlines how schools should handle sexual misconduct investigations to ensure they are upholding students’ civil rights. In just six years, this document has proven instrumental in beginning to curb an epidemic that affects 1 in 5 women during college.
Californians, help us stay on the offense. Ask your Assemblymember to support SB 169.
- Win! Governor Brown Signs CA Values Act Into Law... read more
- Action Alert: Tell Gov. Brown to Sign Equal Pay Legislation Today!... read more
- Action Alert: Stop the Attacks on Students... read more
- Join us for Rockin’ for a Reason: A Benefit Concert!... read more
- Secretary DeVos is Endangering Lives: A Response to the Interim Title IX Guidance... read more
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more