Action Alert: Send a Message to the Department of Education
Last week, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos and her staff made it clear that when it comes to campus sexual assault, they will choose the side of the rape apologist over protecting survivors of campus sexual assault.
Between meetings with so-called “men’s rights activists,” Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Candice Jackson made the sexist and false claim that 90% of reported campus sexual assaults are fabricated.
“90 percent of [campus gender violence reports] fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk,’ ‘we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.”
Jackson leads the federal agency tasked with upholding students’ right to equal access to education, free of sexual violence. Not only is this statement untrue and offensive, it perpetuates the kind of thinking that throws roadblocks in the way of Title IX violation investigations.
While we continue to call on Secretary DeVos and her colleagues to strongly enforce Title IX, we’re also working to ensure students’ rights are upheld no matter what happens at the federal level.
In 2011, the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights issued a critical guidance called the Dear Colleague Letter. This letter outlines how schools should handle sexual misconduct investigations to ensure they are upholding students’ civil rights. In just six years, this document has proven instrumental in beginning to curb an epidemic that affects 1 in 5 women during college.
Californians, help us stay on the offense. Ask your Assemblymember to support SB 169.
- 10 Black Women Making History... read more
- Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers... read more
- Equal Rights Advocates Sues Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education: Campus Sexual Misconduct and Violence is Gender Discrimination... read more
- Tomorrow – March with ERA at the 2018 Women’s March!... read more
- We’ve Said #MeToo – Now We’re Pushing Legislation... read more
- Maria’s Workplace is #OursToo: Stopping the Epidemic of Sexual Violence Against Female Janitors... read more
- Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, We March On... read more
- This is not the year to stop marching... read more
- Taking the Fight for Equal Pay to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals... read more
- Action Alert: Say NO to Disastrous GOP Tax Bill... read more