Action Alert: Stop Gorsuch
The U.S. Supreme Court is ground zero for defending our constitutional and civil rights. An important battle for the court will begin on Monday, March 20 when the confirmation hearing for Judge Neil Gorsuch gets underway before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
DEFENDING OUR RIGHTS AGAINST THE TRUMP AGENDA
Why is Equal Rights Advocates opposing Gorsuch? His record demonstrates that he will not uphold the constitutional rights of women and all working people:
- President Trump promised to nominate a candidate to the Supreme Court who would reverse Roe v. Wade and we’re taking him at his word that Judge Gorsuch would support such a ruling.
Gorsuch’s approach to interpreting the law would have a devastating impact on protections for women and girls in critical areas like employment, education, healthcare, and reproductive rights.
- His track record as an appellate judge is appalling when it comes to immigrant rights, protections for people with disabilities, and workplace safety.
- His ruling in Hobby Lobby — that corporations are people and can claim religious rights – set a dangerous precedent for LGBTQ discrimination, as well as allowing employers to deny women birth control coverage.
The Senate sat on the nomination of an overwhelmingly qualified candidate – Judge Merrick Garland – for over a year to allow Trump the opportunity to appoint someone like Gorsuch who will take us back decades in the fight for an equitable and just society for all Americans. Let your senators know that you’re not buying it – they must do everything in their power to block the nomination of Gorsuch. Call and write your Senators now!
OFFENSIVE PLAY OF THE WEEK
Wednesday, March 15 is the Ides of March. But this year, we’ll be marking The Ides of Trump and joining a national day of resistance. Collectively, we will mail hundreds of thousands of postcards to the White House, calling on the president to support women and stand for our values.
There are many ways to participate:
- Simply write a card or two at home and mail them to the address below.
- Get together with friends and make a party of it.
- Join ERA at a postcard happy hour in San Francisco (The Hall, 1028 Market St, 5:00-6:30pm) and help us write and mail a huge stack of our “Women’s Rights are Human Rights” postcards.
- Wherever you are, take a picture of your cards and post them on social media (tagged with #TheIdesOfTrump or #TheIdes and @EqualRightsAdv).
On March 15 mail your cards to:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
NOT YET A MEMBER OF THE TEAM?
Join the Equal Rights Action Team to receive timely information on how you can help defend our hard-fought civil rights.
- Win! Governor Brown Signs CA Values Act Into Law... read more
- Action Alert: Tell Gov. Brown to Sign Equal Pay Legislation Today!... read more
- Action Alert: Stop the Attacks on Students... read more
- Join us for Rockin’ for a Reason: A Benefit Concert!... read more
- Secretary DeVos is Endangering Lives: A Response to the Interim Title IX Guidance... read more
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more