Action Alert: Support Paid Leave Expansion
It’s time to celebrate some good news!
Last week, the Washington state legislature passed a comprehensive paid family and medical leave program. The new program allows workers to take up to 12 weeks paid time off work for the birth or adoption of a new child, for the care of an ill family member, or for their own serious health condition.
Paid family and medical leave is essential for working families. Without paid time off, women are too often forced to choose between their jobs and caring for their children or other family members. For new moms especially, fully paid family leave makes it more likely that they will return to work, return to their previous employer, and return with the same or higher wages.
And Washington isn’t alone. Cities and states across the country are moving forward with policies like paid family leave to support the economic security of women, families, and entire communities.
In California, ERA is fighting for SB 63, a bill that would ensure more families can access the state’s existing paid family leave program. If you live in California, tell your Assemblymember to support SB 63 and paid leave expansion.
LAST WEEK’S ACTION
The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has announced that it will no longer focus on investigating systemic violations of civil rights laws at publicly funded schools because they take too much time.
We believe upholding the rights of all students is worth the Department of Education’s time. If you agree, sign our letter to Secretary DeVos.
NOT YET A MEMBER OF THE TEAM?
Join the Equal Rights Action Team to receive timely information on how you can help defend our hard-fought civil rights.
- 10 Black Women Making History... read more
- Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers... read more
- Equal Rights Advocates Sues Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education: Campus Sexual Misconduct and Violence is Gender Discrimination... read more
- Tomorrow – March with ERA at the 2018 Women’s March!... read more
- We’ve Said #MeToo – Now We’re Pushing Legislation... read more
- Maria’s Workplace is #OursToo: Stopping the Epidemic of Sexual Violence Against Female Janitors... read more
- Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, We March On... read more
- This is not the year to stop marching... read more
- Taking the Fight for Equal Pay to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals... read more
- Action Alert: Say NO to Disastrous GOP Tax Bill... read more