The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap
Today, the Trump Administration made closing the wage gap even harder.
The White House Office of Management and Budget (“OMB”) announced their decision to stay recent changes made to the federal EEO-1 form, on which employers report workforce demographics. These forms will no longer be updated to require that businesses with 100 or more employees provide pay data by race, ethnicity, and gender – the OMB said such changes present no “practical utility.”
You can’t fix a problem that you can’t see. Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell said of the decision:
“Make no mistake: this is no small, bureaucratic change. The Office of Management and Budget’s decision to halt pay data collection based on gender, race, and ethnicity is a direct attack on efforts to close the persistent and pervasive wage gap. Without pay data transparency, employers, the EEOC, and the public are left in the dark about pay gaps. We cannot fix what we cannot see. This action makes it clear that the Trump Administration has no interest in seeing or fixing the wage gap which endangers the economic security of working women.”
If the federal government won’t collect pay data, we must push our states to ensure transparency. That’s why ERA is a sponsor of California’s Assembly Bill 1209, which would require large companies to disclose salary data by gender to the public. The California Senate will vote on AB 1209 soon – tell your Senator to support transparency today.
- Urge CA Gov. Brown to Sign the #TakeTheLead Bills & Combat Sexual Harassment... read more
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more
- In a Nail Biter Finish, #MeToo Bill SB 1300 Heads to Governor... read more
- Statement: Response to Leaked Draft of DeVos’s New Proposed Title IX Rules... read more
- #TakeTheLead: To the Governor’s Desk... read more
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more