The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap
Today, the Trump Administration made closing the wage gap even harder.
The White House Office of Management and Budget (“OMB”) announced their decision to stay recent changes made to the federal EEO-1 form, on which employers report workforce demographics. These forms will no longer be updated to require that businesses with 100 or more employees provide pay data by race, ethnicity, and gender – the OMB said such changes present no “practical utility.”
You can’t fix a problem that you can’t see. Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell said of the decision:
“Make no mistake: this is no small, bureaucratic change. The Office of Management and Budget’s decision to halt pay data collection based on gender, race, and ethnicity is a direct attack on efforts to close the persistent and pervasive wage gap. Without pay data transparency, employers, the EEOC, and the public are left in the dark about pay gaps. We cannot fix what we cannot see. This action makes it clear that the Trump Administration has no interest in seeing or fixing the wage gap which endangers the economic security of working women.”
If the federal government won’t collect pay data, we must push our states to ensure transparency. That’s why ERA is a sponsor of California’s Assembly Bill 1209, which would require large companies to disclose salary data by gender to the public. The California Senate will vote on AB 1209 soon – tell your Senator to support transparency today.
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch Named Top Labor and Employment Lawyer... read more
- Enough is Enough: Confronting Sexual Harassment and Violence in the Janitorial Industry... read more
- Equal Means Equal – We Need the Equal Rights Amendment Now... read more
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more