Celebrating Policy Wins for Women & Families
On January 12, 2017, the Stronger California Advocates Network, a collaboration of over thirty organizations and advocate coalitions from around the state working in partnership with the Legislative Women’s Caucus to promote policy reforms that improve the economic strength of women and families, kicked off the new legislative cycle with a Policy Convening and Reception in Sacramento.
Advocates from around the state came together with legislators and staff to discuss policy priorities for the coming year to combat poverty and promote asset building, expand access to child care and early childhood education, ensure fair pay and job opportunities and support working families.
We also celebrated incredible past wins from the Stronger California Legislative Agenda, including: passage of the strongest equal pay law in the country; repeal of the regressive and harmful Maximum Family Grant rule; an increase to the minimum wage critical to keep hard-working people out of poverty; passage of the domestic worker bill of rights, which made permanent the right to overtime pay for domestic workers; increased Paid Family Leave benefit wage replacement rates to better support workers taking leave to care for a new child or sick relative; and, increased funding for child care in the budget.
Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell, who chairs the Stronger CA Advocates Network, opened the reception with remarks putting the Stronger CA agenda in the context of the federal election. Now more than ever, we need to push progressive reform in California, which is home to 12% of the country’s women.
Among the speakers at the reception, we were honored to have Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson, outgoing Chair of the Legislative Women’s Caucus, Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez, and Lupita Cortez Alcala, Chair of the California Commission on the Status of Women, all of whom are tireless champions of women’s rights.
We also recognized Kate Karpilow for her tremendous contributions to women and families in California and celebrated the Stronger California Legislative Champions who made our legislative and budget wins possible:
Stronger CA 2016 Legislative Champions
Assembly Members –
Susan Talamantes Eggman
Speaker Anthony Rendon
President pro Tempore Kevin de Leon
As we celebrate the successes of this historic collaboration, we gear up for an exciting year ahead as there is still much work to be done. Please join us at www.StrongerCA.org
- University of Denver Settles Pay Discrimination Lawsuit with $2.6 Million to Women Law Professors... read more
- Lactation Accommodations: A Right, Not a Privilege... read more
- Don’t Miss Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera at Our Gala Luncheon... read more
- Radical Justice Looks Like Centering the Survivor... read more
- This Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Survivors and Allies Have the Power... read more
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Equal Pay Day... read more
- On Eve of Equal Pay Day, Equal Rights Advocates Celebrates Victory for Fair Pay with En Banc Ninth Circuit Decision... read more
- Don’t Miss Our 2018 Annual Gala Luncheon!... read more
- Guest Post: From Hollywood to Academia, Power Structures of Sexual Harassment Remain the Same... read more
- ERA Sues Sacramento School District for Civil Rights Violations after Sexual Assault... read more