Celebrating Policy Wins for Women & Families
On January 12, 2017, the Stronger California Advocates Network, a collaboration of over thirty organizations and advocate coalitions from around the state working in partnership with the Legislative Women’s Caucus to promote policy reforms that improve the economic strength of women and families, kicked off the new legislative cycle with a Policy Convening and Reception in Sacramento.
Advocates from around the state came together with legislators and staff to discuss policy priorities for the coming year to combat poverty and promote asset building, expand access to child care and early childhood education, ensure fair pay and job opportunities and support working families.
We also celebrated incredible past wins from the Stronger California Legislative Agenda, including: passage of the strongest equal pay law in the country; repeal of the regressive and harmful Maximum Family Grant rule; an increase to the minimum wage critical to keep hard-working people out of poverty; passage of the domestic worker bill of rights, which made permanent the right to overtime pay for domestic workers; increased Paid Family Leave benefit wage replacement rates to better support workers taking leave to care for a new child or sick relative; and, increased funding for child care in the budget.
Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell, who chairs the Stronger CA Advocates Network, opened the reception with remarks putting the Stronger CA agenda in the context of the federal election. Now more than ever, we need to push progressive reform in California, which is home to 12% of the country’s women.
Among the speakers at the reception, we were honored to have Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson, outgoing Chair of the Legislative Women’s Caucus, Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez, and Lupita Cortez Alcala, Chair of the California Commission on the Status of Women, all of whom are tireless champions of women’s rights.
We also recognized Kate Karpilow for her tremendous contributions to women and families in California and celebrated the Stronger California Legislative Champions who made our legislative and budget wins possible:
Stronger CA 2016 Legislative Champions
Assembly Members –
Susan Talamantes Eggman
Speaker Anthony Rendon
President pro Tempore Kevin de Leon
As we celebrate the successes of this historic collaboration, we gear up for an exciting year ahead as there is still much work to be done. Please join us at www.StrongerCA.org
- 10 Black Women Making History... read more
- Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers... read more
- Equal Rights Advocates Sues Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education: Campus Sexual Misconduct and Violence is Gender Discrimination... read more
- Tomorrow – March with ERA at the 2018 Women’s March!... read more
- We’ve Said #MeToo – Now We’re Pushing Legislation... read more
- Maria’s Workplace is #OursToo: Stopping the Epidemic of Sexual Violence Against Female Janitors... read more
- Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, We March On... read more
- This is not the year to stop marching... read more
- Taking the Fight for Equal Pay to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals... read more
- Action Alert: Say NO to Disastrous GOP Tax Bill... read more