Position: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Strategic Communications
Classification: Full-Time; Salary, Exempt
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA), a national civil rights organization dedicated to protecting and expanding economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls, is seeking a creative and dedicated Communications Coordinator to provide writing, media relations, and digital communications support to ERA’s Communications team.
The Communications Coordinator will work within the Strategic Communications Department to fulfill ERA’s communications goals and objectives. This includes maintaining a strong and ongoing ERA presence in traditional and electronic media; increase ERA online presence and supporter engagement; produce content and programmatic updates to be disseminated to the media, advocates, policymakers, and others; and pitching to, and responding to inquiries from, the media and general public.
- Pitch local, trade, state, and national media contacts and outlets to support ERA’s strategic communication goals.
- Draft and pitch op-eds by ERA staff for local and national media outlets.
- Manage and respond to incoming media inquiries, including scheduling media interviews with ERA staff and working with staff members to prepare for media interviews.
- Maintain ERA’s media database and monitor current events for opportunities and contacts.
- Draft media advisories and press releases to support ERA programmatic milestone and events.
- Under the direction of the Director of Strategic Communications, and in partnership with the Program Coordinator, draft and edit content for ERA’s various social and external platforms (e.g., Medium, Facebook, Twitter.) Manage dissemination of written content across social media and other platforms.
- Assist in managing ERA’s editorial calendar, including identifying editorial opportunities.
- Monitor and manage Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts, including drafting and scheduling of daily content in partnership with the Program Coordinator and under the direction of the Director.
- Monitor and report on social media and website analytics for the Communications team and the Board of Directors.
- Assist in development and execution of social media campaigns for ERA and participate in external social media campaigns alongside organizational partners.
- Draft and produce ERA email campaigns for supporters, including monthly newsletters, breaking news action alerts, and programmatic updates.
- Monitor and report on email analytics for the Communications team.
- Drive communication activities to promote and support ERA’s events, including our annual luncheon.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of communications experience
- Demonstrably excellent writing, editing, and communication skills
- Prior experience in pitching local, state, and national media
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Prior experience managing social media platforms
- Ability to take complicated ideas and communicate them effectively to various audiences
- Initiative and ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team that regularly develops new campaigns and advocacy initiatives
- Good judgment, hustle, and resourcefulness (i.e., you are known for ‘getting it done.’)
- Strong interest in design, social media, and/or other aspects of social media engagement
- Understanding and sensitivity to issues that ERA clients and client populations face and an ability to work on complex, difficult issues in a compassionate and collaborative manner
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with co-workers, clients, and coalition partners from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and communities
- Willingness to learn and use internal computer systems, platforms, and databases
- An excellent sense of humor and willingness to work with a team of feisty, no-nonsense civil rights badasses
Salary & Other Considerations
This position is being offered at a salary range of $49,000 – $53,000 annually, depending on experience. This will be a full-time, office-based job in San Francisco that will require some out-of-office travel and occasionally can be performed remotely. This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in this particular position, connection to ERA’s mission, where you found the job posting, and attach your current résumé to email@example.com. Please list “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line of your e-mail message. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls, please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is dedicated to the diversity of our staff. We will consider applicants equally without regard to sex, gender, race, age, ethnicity, national origin, disability, marital or veteran status, medical condition, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We reasonably accommodate staff members and applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job. Individuals who need assistance or accommodation due to a disability may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 Black Women Making History... read more
- Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers... read more
- Equal Rights Advocates Sues Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education: Campus Sexual Misconduct and Violence is Gender Discrimination... read more
- Tomorrow – March with ERA at the 2018 Women’s March!... read more
- We’ve Said #MeToo – Now We’re Pushing Legislation... read more
- Maria’s Workplace is #OursToo: Stopping the Epidemic of Sexual Violence Against Female Janitors... read more
- Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, We March On... read more
- This is not the year to stop marching... read more
- Taking the Fight for Equal Pay to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals... read more
- Action Alert: Say NO to Disastrous GOP Tax Bill... read more