Defending Title IX in Schools: ERA’s Week in the News
With concerns about the Department of Education’s enforcement of Title IX and a massive record release from the University of California about employee sexual misconduct, ERA had a big week of media coverage on the topics of sexual assault on campus and the urgency of defending Title IX.
- Executive Director Noreen Farrell spoke with the Associated Press and The Guardian about the University of California’s public release of employee sexual misconduct records.
While there has been increasing recognition of the epidemic of campus sexual assault in America, the UC records reveal a disturbing pattern in how administrators deal with assailants when they are faculty, Farrell said: “It’s a vicious cycle. How is a college to shift a culture among its students if it’s giving a free pass to its own employees?”
- Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Peterson-Fisher spoke with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette about an amici brief defending the right to Title IX damages that ERA served as primary author on, which was filed this week.
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch talked to BuzzFeed about the backlog of Title IX complaints in OCR and concerns that they might not be adequately resolved under Secretary DeVos.
- Win! Governor Brown Signs CA Values Act Into Law... read more
- Action Alert: Tell Gov. Brown to Sign Equal Pay Legislation Today!... read more
- Action Alert: Stop the Attacks on Students... read more
- Join us for Rockin’ for a Reason: A Benefit Concert!... read more
- Secretary DeVos is Endangering Lives: A Response to the Interim Title IX Guidance... read more
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more