Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers
Despite the public shock and outrage last September when President Trump rolled back Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), we still have no resolution.
For five months, the Trump administration and GOP congressional leadership have used 800,000 DREAMers’ lives as a political bargaining chip.
These are children and young adults who have lived almost their entire lives in the United States. This is their only home. DACA recipients have gone to school here, worked here, and served our country in the military. They are our friends, colleagues, bosses, sisters, brothers, neighbors. They pay income taxes and without them, our economy could lose an estimated $200-$400 billion dollars.
Later this week, Congress will once again face a vote to keep the government funded and avoid a second shutdown. And they might do it without extending DACA — leaving DREAMers stuck in limbo in the country they call home. Or, even worse, in even more danger of being expelled.
I know DREAMers and they have taught me valuable lessons. In watching their lives be used for a political battle, I am reminded of the limitations of the American dream. The way our ideals often fall short because of systemic discrimination and hate. So many DREAMers came to the United States with the promise of a country that is free and full of opportunities to those who work hard. We cannot let the Trump administration’s racist and xenophobic immigration policies derail that dream for so many young people.
While the clock is ticking to extend DACA, now is the time to speak out. 87% of Americans want DREAMers to be able to remain in the United States. Join them – write to your representatives and let them know a clean DREAM act is how we live our highest values.
Americans love stories of the soldiers and heroes who fight for our freedoms. Who fight for the underdog. So I call on everyone to utilize the power you’ve been given and fight for the DREAMers.
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more
- In a Nail Biter Finish, #MeToo Bill SB 1300 Heads to Governor... read more
- Statement: Response to Leaked Draft of DeVos’s New Proposed Title IX Rules... read more
- #TakeTheLead: To the Governor’s Desk... read more
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more