Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Development Coordinator and Development Associate
Classification: Full-Time; Exempt
The Director of Development is a senior leader of the growing Equal Rights Advocates team who will manage ERA’s development team and lead Equal Rights Advocates’ fundraising goals to meet its $2.75 million operating budget and substantially grow revenue over next three years. The Director of Development, in close collaboration with the Executive Director, board, and development team leads the implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan comprised of aggressive goals around: major gifts, planned giving, foundations, corporate giving, online giving, and events. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a key member of the executive leadership team and contributes to the organization’s operational and strategic health and success. This is a fantastic opportunity for a fundraiser and leader who believes deeply in our feminist mission and wants to mobilize a team to hit bold fundraising targets, generate new resources to support ERA’s mission, and who is excited to lead both strategically and operationally.
What you’ll do:
Lead all fundraising for Equal Rights Advocates, ensuring the organization raises $2.75 million through diversified funding streams in FY19, which will increase year over year.
- Design fundraising strategy annually in close collaboration with the Executive Director and in coordination with the board
- Create and execute on donor cultivation and stewardship plans in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Strategically leverage the Executive Director in key fundraising activities
- Plan and implement annual 1000+ person fundraising gala, including leadership of volunteer fundraising committee, sponsorship solicitation, speakers, and event logistics
- Design and implement a plan to increase the number of multi-year gifts year over year
- Plan and implement ERA’s major fundraising strategies including Annual Appeal, Major and Planned Giving Program, Annual Luncheon Fundraiser, and online giving campaigns, events, and other fundraising efforts
- Grow ERA’s major donor program from existing donors and prospects through strategic cultivation
- Collaborate with the communications department to create fundraising materials in alignment with brand guidelines
- Manage grants consultant to lead on grants writing and grants management, resulting in ~$450k or more annually
- Grow presence into new markets by developing and implementing fundraising plans in key regions outside of California to support ERA’s programmatic work
- Provide board development support, liaising with board members to develop strategic give-get plans and overall development strategy
Build, lead, manage, and coach a team to meet or exceed all fundraising targets each year.
- Develop and implement the work plan and accountability measures for the development team comprised of: Development & Events Coordinator, Development Assistant, contract Grants Writer
- Design and ensure strong development operations, including all data entry and management, as well as donor acknowledgments, gift processing, and income reconciliation with the finance team
- Audit, design, and improve internal development processes and systems that result in greater efficiency of department operations
- Develop and manage the development department budget to spend at or less than the expense target
- Project manage the implementation of new organizational CRM, which includes migrating all data from current CRM and designing the new system.
You’ll bring these skills and strengths to the role:
- Relationship Management & Resource Generation: Cultivate meaningful relationships with donors that converts into giving on a consistent basis. Think strategically about each relationship to leverage board and Executive Director as appropriate. Additionally, establish positive and productive relationships with all members of the internal team.
- Written & Verbal Communication: Demonstrate excellent and compelling written and oral communication skills, with an ability to persuasively articulate the organization’s mission. Demonstrate an ability to listen deeply and to communicate and respond openly, honestly, clearly, and directly.
- Leadership & Management: Demonstrate an ability to build, lead, and coach a small team, to manage up and across, and to inspire and mobilize people toward big goals. Show an ability to plan, schedule, and direct the work of self and others, including direct reports, peers, and senior leadership.
- Project Management: Demonstrate an ability manage processes and to focus on what’s most important. Is organized, planful, and holds self and others accountable to commitments and deadlines with the goal of moving work forward.
- Strategic: See the forest amidst the trees, and understand how to assess, plan, and move forward with agility and positivity.
You’ll be successful in this role if…
- You have a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit, with a desire to build on current success and rally a team to continue innovating
- You have deep experience in fundraising and in team leadership
- You thrive in small, scrappy, environments where the approach is all hands on deck
- You have a successful track record of soliciting major gifts from individuals and foundations
- You have experience using and optimizing use of NEON or other comparable CRM/donor management databases
- You have five years of experience in fundraising
- You have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
We’d be even more excited if…
- You have experience with social justice/women’s rights programs
- You have experience with national fundraising given that we’re growing and expanding our impact nationally
- You have experience with successfully soliciting major gifts
- You have a fundraising certification or advanced education in nonprofit management
- You have personal or professional experience with diverse communities.
Other things to know:
We offer a work environment that values work/life balance.
- This is a full, exempt role based in San Francisco, CA.
- The salary range for this role is $95,000-$115,000.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required due to fundraising activities and special events.
- ERA offers a generous benefits package which includes medical and dental coverage (100% for employees and child dependents), a generous vacation and sick leave policy, 12 paid holidays, and 403b retirement account.
How to apply:
Are you ready to join our team at ERA? Please submit a cover letter & resume, to Francesca Bitton at email@example.com with the subject line Director of Development Application. Please also include how you heard about this opportunity. The position is open until filled, so we encourage applicants to apply by June 15. ERA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and we strongly encourage women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.
An Equal Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity:
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is dedicated to the diversity of our staff. We will consider applicants equally without regard to sex, gender, race, age, ethnicity, national origin, disability, marital or veteran status, medical condition, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We reasonably accommodate staff members and applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job. Individuals who need assistance or accommodation due to a disability may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more
- SCOTUS Blow to Workers’ Rights Demands Legislative Fix... read more