Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree
Equal Rights Advocates proudly recognizes partner organization, Alliance for Girls (AFG), and its founding director, Emma Mayerson, as 2017 Gender Justice Honorees. This award is given each year to civil rights champions who have contributed to the movement for gender equality, and whose support and partnership have made ERA stronger.
AFG is a membership association of more than 150 organizations and individuals serving more than 300,000 girls in the Bay Area. Under Emma’s leadership, AFG has become the largest alliance of girls’ organizations and champions in the nation, working collectively to ensure girl-serving organizations are more connected, more effective, and better able to prepare the girls of today to be the leaders of tomorrow.
In partnership with Oakland Unified School District, AFG and Equal Rights Advocates and other AFG members have collaborated to drive groundbreaking changes to better support girls of color and others at the margins. Through the process, AFG has prioritized fostering girls as leaders in district reform in what will be a model for school districts across the country.
“Equal Rights Advocates thanks Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls for inspiring collaboration and high-impact reforms benefiting thousands of girls,” stated Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell.
“Alliance for Girls is honored to receive this recognition from Equal Rights Advocates – a long-time member of the Alliance whose legal expertise and contributions to grassroots, community-based organizations has enabled deep systemic change across the Bay Area, including our recent successful partnership with Oakland Unified School District to combat sexual harassment in schools,” said Emma. “Thank you ERA for this honor, and for your partnership!”
This award will be given on June 14, 2017 at ERA’s annual gala luncheon.
- University of Denver Settles Pay Discrimination Lawsuit with $2.6 Million to Women Law Professors... read more
- Lactation Accommodations: A Right, Not a Privilege... read more
- Don’t Miss Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera at Our Gala Luncheon... read more
- Radical Justice Looks Like Centering the Survivor... read more
- This Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Survivors and Allies Have the Power... read more
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Equal Pay Day... read more
- On Eve of Equal Pay Day, Equal Rights Advocates Celebrates Victory for Fair Pay with En Banc Ninth Circuit Decision... read more
- Don’t Miss Our 2018 Annual Gala Luncheon!... read more
- Guest Post: From Hollywood to Academia, Power Structures of Sexual Harassment Remain the Same... read more
- ERA Sues Sacramento School District for Civil Rights Violations after Sexual Assault... read more