Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree
Equal Rights Advocates proudly recognizes partner organization, Alliance for Girls (AFG), and its founding director, Emma Mayerson, as 2017 Gender Justice Honorees. This award is given each year to civil rights champions who have contributed to the movement for gender equality, and whose support and partnership have made ERA stronger.
AFG is a membership association of more than 150 organizations and individuals serving more than 300,000 girls in the Bay Area. Under Emma’s leadership, AFG has become the largest alliance of girls’ organizations and champions in the nation, working collectively to ensure girl-serving organizations are more connected, more effective, and better able to prepare the girls of today to be the leaders of tomorrow.
In partnership with Oakland Unified School District, AFG and Equal Rights Advocates and other AFG members have collaborated to drive groundbreaking changes to better support girls of color and others at the margins. Through the process, AFG has prioritized fostering girls as leaders in district reform in what will be a model for school districts across the country.
“Equal Rights Advocates thanks Emma Mayerson and Alliance for Girls for inspiring collaboration and high-impact reforms benefiting thousands of girls,” stated Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell.
“Alliance for Girls is honored to receive this recognition from Equal Rights Advocates – a long-time member of the Alliance whose legal expertise and contributions to grassroots, community-based organizations has enabled deep systemic change across the Bay Area, including our recent successful partnership with Oakland Unified School District to combat sexual harassment in schools,” said Emma. “Thank you ERA for this honor, and for your partnership!”
This award will be given on June 14, 2017 at ERA’s annual gala luncheon.
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more
- SCOTUS Blow to Workers’ Rights Demands Legislative Fix... read more