Equal Means Equal – We Need the Equal Rights Amendment Now
It has been over 40 years since the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was passed by Congress. And yet, its one-sentence declaration that equality of rights cannot be denied based on sex remains unratified.
I am a mother who wants a more equitable world for my girls. I am a civil rights litigator who has represented millions of women and girls in courthouses across the country. And I am a policy advocate fighting to ensure women’s economic security.
In all of these pursuits, I know we need an Equal Rights Amendment to ensure gender equality in this country.
Until we have an Equal Rights Amendment, the cases Equal Rights Advocates brings on behalf of women and girls will depend on laws that can be rolled back by political whim and that ARE being rolled back by the Trump Administration as we speak.
In the past seven months, we have seen this administration rescind important rights like the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces executive order, which was protecting millions of women employees of federal contractors from discrimination, and a Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights guidance to combat campus sexual assaults is under attack. And while we are thrilled to have worked with Patricia Arquette and State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson to pass the California Fair Pay Act, we have not be able to pass similarly strong equal pay laws at the federal level.
Whether you are treated equally under the law should not depend on your zip code or the political whims of elected officials.
We need to put our gender equality rights on the constitutional high shelf – to protect women from damaging stereotypes that they are biologically unfit to work in tech or not good enough to be in the White House. We need constitutional tools to protect immigrant women workers and demand that the government process rape kids.
At this point in our history, it is long past due that women of every race, sexual orientation, and background get equal footing in the U.S. Constitution. Take action today – support ongoing efforts in Congress and state legislatures to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more