Pushing the Envelope on Equal Pay Laws with Equal Pay Today!
For months, advocates nationwide have been forced onto the defense – to preserve our hard-fought gains and ensure the civil rights of women, girls, and vulnerable communities are not threatened. But there remain opportunities to go on the offense.
This week’s Equal Pay Today! campaign convening in Washington, DC brought exactly that. I proudly joined 30 of the nation’s top litigators, economists, academics, and advocates to discuss the future of equal pay legislation. For two days, we envisioned the world we want for working families, rather than just strategizing to hold the line.
And our energy and optimism is not unwarranted – currently, 41 states across the country are considering equal pay laws. These laws, which will help close the wage gap and ensure economic security for women, are not just passing in “blue” states like California and Massachusetts. This legislative cycle, states including Texas, Louisiana, Indiana, and South Carolina are considering equal pay legislation.
These innovative state laws represent the next generation of equal pay laws. And the members of the Equal Pay Today! campaign are ready to support advocates and legislators in states that are pushing the envelope on equal pay. Together, we will continue to drive progress over the next four years.
Special thanks to Equal Pay Today! steering committee members: Dina Bakst (A Better Balance), Terry Fromson (Women’s Law Project), Fatima Goss Graves (National Women’s Law Center), Pamelya Herndon (Southwest Women’s Law Center), Lenora Lapidus (ACLU Women’s Rights Project), Lisa Stratton (Gender Justice).
- University of Denver Settles Pay Discrimination Lawsuit with $2.6 Million to Women Law Professors... read more
- Lactation Accommodations: A Right, Not a Privilege... read more
- Don’t Miss Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera at Our Gala Luncheon... read more
- Radical Justice Looks Like Centering the Survivor... read more
- This Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Survivors and Allies Have the Power... read more
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Equal Pay Day... read more
- On Eve of Equal Pay Day, Equal Rights Advocates Celebrates Victory for Fair Pay with En Banc Ninth Circuit Decision... read more
- Don’t Miss Our 2018 Annual Gala Luncheon!... read more
- Guest Post: From Hollywood to Academia, Power Structures of Sexual Harassment Remain the Same... read more
- ERA Sues Sacramento School District for Civil Rights Violations after Sexual Assault... read more