Pushing the Envelope on Equal Pay Laws with Equal Pay Today!
For months, advocates nationwide have been forced onto the defense – to preserve our hard-fought gains and ensure the civil rights of women, girls, and vulnerable communities are not threatened. But there remain opportunities to go on the offense.
This week’s Equal Pay Today! campaign convening in Washington, DC brought exactly that. I proudly joined 30 of the nation’s top litigators, economists, academics, and advocates to discuss the future of equal pay legislation. For two days, we envisioned the world we want for working families, rather than just strategizing to hold the line.
And our energy and optimism is not unwarranted – currently, 41 states across the country are considering equal pay laws. These laws, which will help close the wage gap and ensure economic security for women, are not just passing in “blue” states like California and Massachusetts. This legislative cycle, states including Texas, Louisiana, Indiana, and South Carolina are considering equal pay legislation.
These innovative state laws represent the next generation of equal pay laws. And the members of the Equal Pay Today! campaign are ready to support advocates and legislators in states that are pushing the envelope on equal pay. Together, we will continue to drive progress over the next four years.
Special thanks to Equal Pay Today! steering committee members: Dina Bakst (A Better Balance), Terry Fromson (Women’s Law Project), Fatima Goss Graves (National Women’s Law Center), Pamelya Herndon (Southwest Women’s Law Center), Lenora Lapidus (ACLU Women’s Rights Project), Lisa Stratton (Gender Justice).
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more
- SCOTUS Blow to Workers’ Rights Demands Legislative Fix... read more