Democratic Party Commits to Fight for the ERA
80% of Americans incorrectly believe equality of the sexes is guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. And until the Equal Rights Amendment is ratified, that won’t be the case.
While it’s been 93 years since the ERA was first introduced, a renewed call for ratification has emerged, and we’ve made important progress in the fight for gender equality in the Constitution.
Last month, the Democratic Party’s Platform Committee included a commitment to the “fight to secure equal pay for women and – after 240 years – finally enshrine the rights of women in the constitution by passing the Equal Rights Amendment.” This marks the first time the Democratic Party has committed to fighting for the ERA since 1988, and we are hopeful that it will produce real change.
I was proud to testify in front of the Platform Committee, along with ERA Coalition President Jessica Neuwirth, on the widespread harm caused by the lack of constitutional equality for women. This important win comes after a year of work alongside Equal Rights Advocates, the ERA Coalition, and others to pave the way for the Equal Rights Amendment, starting with my presentation at Dreamforce 2015 with Equal Rights Advocates Executive Director Noreen Farrell.
You can watch my testimony here, and if you agree that we need the ERA now, sign the Change.org petition calling for ratification.
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch Named Top Labor and Employment Lawyer... read more
- Enough is Enough: Confronting Sexual Harassment and Violence in the Janitorial Industry... read more
- Equal Means Equal – We Need the Equal Rights Amendment Now... read more
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more