ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital
Over the past several months, a series of brave women entrepreneurs have come forward with stories of sexual harassment by venture capitalists. In response to what clearly is a pervasive problem, ERA is sponsoring legislation introduced by California State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (Senate Bill 224) to clarify legal protections for entrepreneurs against sexual harassment.
SB 224 amends the California Unruh Act, which provides protection from discrimination by state business establishments, to clarify that current law prohibits sexual harassment in the investor-entrepreneur relationship.
“Sexual harassment can no longer stand between a great woman entrepreneur and the launch of her company,” says Noreen Farrell, Executive Director of Equal Rights Advocates. “If we want to see the venture capital industry change and an end to sexual harassment of women in technology, we need strong legal protections. No matter how well intentioned, decency pledges won’t cut it. Senate Bill 224 demonstrates to all women that the law has their back.”
- University of Denver Settles Pay Discrimination Lawsuit with $2.6 Million to Women Law Professors... read more
- Lactation Accommodations: A Right, Not a Privilege... read more
- Don’t Miss Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera at Our Gala Luncheon... read more
- Radical Justice Looks Like Centering the Survivor... read more
- This Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Survivors and Allies Have the Power... read more
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know about Equal Pay Day... read more
- On Eve of Equal Pay Day, Equal Rights Advocates Celebrates Victory for Fair Pay with En Banc Ninth Circuit Decision... read more
- Don’t Miss Our 2018 Annual Gala Luncheon!... read more
- Guest Post: From Hollywood to Academia, Power Structures of Sexual Harassment Remain the Same... read more
- ERA Sues Sacramento School District for Civil Rights Violations after Sexual Assault... read more