ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital
Over the past several months, a series of brave women entrepreneurs have come forward with stories of sexual harassment by venture capitalists. In response to what clearly is a pervasive problem, ERA is sponsoring legislation introduced by California State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (Senate Bill 224) to clarify legal protections for entrepreneurs against sexual harassment.
SB 224 amends the California Unruh Act, which provides protection from discrimination by state business establishments, to clarify that current law prohibits sexual harassment in the investor-entrepreneur relationship.
“Sexual harassment can no longer stand between a great woman entrepreneur and the launch of her company,” says Noreen Farrell, Executive Director of Equal Rights Advocates. “If we want to see the venture capital industry change and an end to sexual harassment of women in technology, we need strong legal protections. No matter how well intentioned, decency pledges won’t cut it. Senate Bill 224 demonstrates to all women that the law has their back.”
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch Named Top Labor and Employment Lawyer... read more
- Enough is Enough: Confronting Sexual Harassment and Violence in the Janitorial Industry... read more
- Equal Means Equal – We Need the Equal Rights Amendment Now... read more
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more