ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital
Over the past several months, a series of brave women entrepreneurs have come forward with stories of sexual harassment by venture capitalists. In response to what clearly is a pervasive problem, ERA is sponsoring legislation introduced by California State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (Senate Bill 224) to clarify legal protections for entrepreneurs against sexual harassment.
SB 224 amends the California Unruh Act, which provides protection from discrimination by state business establishments, to clarify that current law prohibits sexual harassment in the investor-entrepreneur relationship.
“Sexual harassment can no longer stand between a great woman entrepreneur and the launch of her company,” says Noreen Farrell, Executive Director of Equal Rights Advocates. “If we want to see the venture capital industry change and an end to sexual harassment of women in technology, we need strong legal protections. No matter how well intentioned, decency pledges won’t cut it. Senate Bill 224 demonstrates to all women that the law has their back.”
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more
- In a Nail Biter Finish, #MeToo Bill SB 1300 Heads to Governor... read more
- Statement: Response to Leaked Draft of DeVos’s New Proposed Title IX Rules... read more
- #TakeTheLead: To the Governor’s Desk... read more
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more