ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital
Over the past several months, a series of brave women entrepreneurs have come forward with stories of sexual harassment by venture capitalists. In response to what clearly is a pervasive problem, ERA is sponsoring legislation introduced by California State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (Senate Bill 224) to clarify legal protections for entrepreneurs against sexual harassment.
SB 224 amends the California Unruh Act, which provides protection from discrimination by state business establishments, to clarify that current law prohibits sexual harassment in the investor-entrepreneur relationship.
“Sexual harassment can no longer stand between a great woman entrepreneur and the launch of her company,” says Noreen Farrell, Executive Director of Equal Rights Advocates. “If we want to see the venture capital industry change and an end to sexual harassment of women in technology, we need strong legal protections. No matter how well intentioned, decency pledges won’t cut it. Senate Bill 224 demonstrates to all women that the law has their back.”
- 10 Black Women Making History... read more
- Why I demand Congressional action for DREAMers... read more
- Equal Rights Advocates Sues Betsy DeVos and the Department of Education: Campus Sexual Misconduct and Violence is Gender Discrimination... read more
- Tomorrow – March with ERA at the 2018 Women’s March!... read more
- We’ve Said #MeToo – Now We’re Pushing Legislation... read more
- Maria’s Workplace is #OursToo: Stopping the Epidemic of Sexual Violence Against Female Janitors... read more
- Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, We March On... read more
- This is not the year to stop marching... read more
- Taking the Fight for Equal Pay to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals... read more
- Action Alert: Say NO to Disastrous GOP Tax Bill... read more