Executive Director Noreen Farrell Honored as Top Employment Lawyer
For 40 years ERA has championed the rights of women in the workplace, litigating and advocating fearlessly for women in all sectors, including service and domestic work, where women are regularly subjected to abuses because of their status as low-wage earners, women of color, or non-native English speakers.
As Noreen told the Daily Journal, “taking on the tough litigation fights is a critical part of ERA’s advocacy, especially for low-wage workers who often cannot turn to anyone else.”
The Daily Journal selected Noreen in recognition of her leadership and ERA’s efforts on dozens of cases on behalf of women in a variety of industries and students and student-athletes seeking gender equity and equal opportunities. These women include restaurant workers, fire fighters, hotel workers, janitors, casino workers, professors, women wrestlers, and students facing sexual harassment and assault at school. The Daily Journal noted Noreen’s work, for example, in Medina v. Station Casinos, in which she represented a class of women workers at the Thunder Valley Casino who alleged sexual harassment and wage and hour violations. ERA resolved the case with a multi-million dollar settlement and significant injunctive relief with the assistance of co-counsel from Farrise Law, Kazan, McClain et al., and Lynch Gilardi & Grummer.
The Daily Journal also recognized Noreen for her work in Bojorquez v. ABM Industries, in which she worked alongside the trial team of ERA Legal Director Jennifer Reisch, ERA staff attorney Monali Sheth, and co-counsel Virginia Villegas of Villegas Carrera LLP. The team represented Maria Bojorquez, a San Francisco janitor challenging sexual assault and retaliation in her workplace. A San Francisco jury awarded Maria nearly over $800,000 in May 2012.
Click to read more about ERA’s campaign to improve conditions for marginalized women workers and working families. Consider supporting our work, or taking action to help us pass important employment-related legislation.
- 10 Toni Morrison Quotes That Will Never Stop Inspiring Us
- DeVos Lawsuit Update: Groups Detail “Chilling Effects” of Title IX Rollbacks
- Published Case Will Protect Student Survivors of Sexual Assault
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Kimberly Alvarenga
- Perspective: Enough with the Pay-Gap Victim Blaming
- Landmark Sex Discrimination Settlement for ERA Gold Miner Client
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Mary Ignatius
- Stronger CA Advocates Network Releases 2019 Agenda
- #BeHEARD Act: The sexual harassment superbill we’ve been waiting for
- Racing the Clock: How extending the deadline for sexual harassment claims changes the game