Kelly Dermody – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree
Equal Rights Advocates proudly recognizes long-time supporter Kelly M. Dermody as a 2017 Gender Justice Honoree for her decades-long commitment to civil rights and role as a post-election galvanizer of the progressive legal community to support vulnerable communities. This award is given each year to civil rights champions who have contributed to the movement for gender equality.
Kelly is Managing Partner at the San Francisco office of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein and chair of the firm’s employment practice group. She has led groundbreaking class and collective action cases on behalf of workers and consumers, and helped millions of women in the process. She’s received just about every legal award there is in recognition of her tremendous intellect and skills, including being named one of the top 100 attorneys in California by The Daily Journal, and top 75 labor and employment lawyers in the state. In 2006, California Lawyer magazine awarded her its prestigious California Lawyer Attorney of the Year Award for her successful prosecution of several class action lawsuits against California’s main hospital chains for charging the uninsured exorbitant and unconscionable prices for medical care.
She has been an inspirational leader in law for over two decades, over which time she has earned tremendous respect and credibility in the legal community. But her incredible dedication to social justice also transcends the courtroom. She has not only served with distinction as a board member for many non-profit organizations, she has been a tremendous force for collective action among us post-election. She spearheaded the high-impact Good Ally Conference in January, gathering over 1,000 members of the legal community to coordinate support for communities affected by policy changes after the election. We thank Kelly and other organizers of this gathering, at which Equal Rights Advocates and the Family Violence Law Center kicked off planning for the Network to Stop School Sexual Violence.
“ERA has always been a fierce champion for women and girls, and understands the critical need for an intersectional, inclusive justice movement,” said Kelly. “I am honored to support and work with ERA in its fight for dignity and equity for all.”
This award will be given on June 14, 2017 at ERA’s annual gala luncheon.
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more
- SCOTUS Blow to Workers’ Rights Demands Legislative Fix... read more