NBC: Victims’ Rights Advocates Gather in San Francisco
NBC Bay Area covered a federal hearing and press conference regarding Equal Rights Advocates’ federal lawsuit against Betsy DeVos and the U.S. Department of Education. They quoted and feature video of ERA client, advocate, and student survivor Amelia Wagoner.
“Students should not be punished for reporting rape,” she said. “I hope changes from this case today mean that someday, students can report rape and feel safe on campus, without having to feel that they’re working against the school, and having it consume their lives.”
The lawsuit was filed on behalf of plaintiffs Equal Rights Advocates, SurvJustice, and Victim Rights Law Center by three national public interest organizations: Democracy Forward, the National Center for Youth Law, and the National Women’s Law Center.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- March with ERA on Jan. 19! (Updated)
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- Comment Guide: Speak Out Against Title IX Regulations
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible
- Our Bodies on the Line: Latina Equal Pay and #MeToo
- Next week, we vote for women’s equality in the workplace
- BREAKING: Amended Federal Lawsuit Against DeVos Shows Title IX Policy Was Based on Sexist Stereotypes, Is Unconstitutional
- 5 Simple Steps to Ensure Justice & Equity Prevail on Nov. 6