There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy
Equal Rights Advocates joins others in condemning the violent white supremacy on display in Charlottesville over this past weekend. And we see the violence that erupted as connected to recent claims that women are biologically unfit for certain jobs and other examples of discrimination and repression played out across national media.
We also recognize that the Trump administration is directly complicit in this violence. In just the past six months, this administration has taken action to roll back the civil rights of women, people of color, immigrants, religious minorities, and gay and trans people – from eliminating the Department of Labor’s Women’s Bureau to calling to ban trans military service to attacking affirmative action in university admissions.
These actions have empowered racial hate groups to play an outsized role in policymaking across our government. We can no longer count on our government to defend the rights of people for whom civil rights are the most important. We are prepared to stand with our allies and sister organizations to uphold the standards of our most basic democratic ideals.
Our thoughts are with the family of Heather Hyer, who was murdered while standing up for racial justice, and with all those terrorized by the weekend’s events; we also stand in solidarity with those fighting white supremacy and neo-Nazi hatred, and call on those who support gender equity to also support racial equity and oppose racial terror and intimidation.
- VIDEO: 5 New Anti-Sexual Harassment Rights for CA Workers
- Urge your legislators: Support the Paycheck Fairness Act!
- Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible
- Our Bodies on the Line: Latina Equal Pay and #MeToo
- Next week, we vote for women’s equality in the workplace
- BREAKING: Amended Federal Lawsuit Against DeVos Shows Title IX Policy Was Based on Sexist Stereotypes, Is Unconstitutional