There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 14, 2017
Delia Coleman, Director, Strategic Communications
312.961.0033, mobile; email@example.com
There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy Says Noreen Farrell, Leader of National Women’s Civil Rights Organization
The Fight for Gender and Racial Equity Go
Hand in Hand, Says Civil Rights Leader
San Francisco, CA – National civil rights organization, Equal Rights Advocates (ERA), joins others in condemning the violent white supremacy on display in Charlottesville over this past weekend. An organization that fights to advance gender justice for women in the workplace and in schools, ERA sees the violence that erupted in Charlottesville as connected to the events that overtook Google by storm in the Bay Area last week and other examples of discrimination and repression played out across national media.
“We see claims that women are biologically unfit for certain jobs and violent hate marches calling for a return to all white power as connected,” said Noreen Farrell, Executive Director of ERA. “We stand with women and people of color, immigrants, religious minorities, and gay and trans people to fight stereotypes and oppression, especially as this Administration continues to orchestrate civil rights roll-backs.”
The administration is directly complicit in the violence in Charlottesville over the weekend. ERA draws attention to and condemns the following Trump administration actions over the past six months:
- the defunding and elimination of the Department of Labor’s Women’s Bureau;
- the rescission of the Obama administration’s executive orders on pay equity and sexual harassment;
- the roll back of pay data collection, vital in the fair pay fight;
- the call to ban of trans military service and the rescission of Obama administration protections for trans children at school;
- the announcement that the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights will not commit resources to combat systemic civil rights violations at schools;
- the Department of Education’s re-evaluation of whether to continue strong protections combatting sexual assaults on college campuses based on claims by its leadership that women “fabricate” these claims;
- the Department of Justice’s, led Attorney General Jeff Sessions (whose own racist remarks prevented his appointment to the federal bench), move to attack immigrants; its attack on affirmative action in university admissions as “reverse” discrimination; and its attack on voting rights and access;
- and, finally, the appointment of several key administration advisors with alleged ties to white supremacist, white nationalist hate groups.
Farrell continues, “These actions by the administration have empowered racial hatred groups to play an outsized role in policymaking across our government. We can no longer count on our government to defend the rights of the people for whom civil rights are the most important – women, people of color, immigrants, religious minorities, and members of the LGBTQ community. Clearly, if our government won’t uphold the standards of our most basic democratic ideals, it’s up to organizations like ours to do it for them.”
Our thoughts are with the family of Heather Hyer, who was murdered while standing up for racial justice, and with all those terrorized by the weekend’s events; we also stand in solidarity with those fighting white supremacy and neo-Nazi hatred, and call on those who support gender equity to also support racial equity and oppose racial terror and intimidation.
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is a national civil rights organization dedicated to protecting and advancing gender and economic justice for women and girls in the workplace and in schools. Founded in 1974, from ensuring the passage of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act to arguing seminal gender rights cases before the United States Supreme Court, ERA is the home of visionary leaders, unflinching advocates, and hard-nosed litigators for justice.
Latest from Press Releases
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus... read more
- BREAKING: Amended Federal Lawsuit Against DeVos Shows Title IX Policy Was Based on Sexist Stereotypes, Is Unconstitutional... read more
- “You have galvanized our movement to replace you. We are united more than ever before.”... read more