2016 Impact: Policy Reform Campaigns That Will Benefit Millions
A pay raise for 6.5 million minimum wage workers in California
Protection for 200,000 janitors from sexual violence
Education equity reforms benefitting 30,000 students
ERA’s efforts in 2016 brought significant policy victories at the national, state, and local levels and reforms within industries that will benefit millions.
As chair of the Equal Pay today! campaign, we are working alongside partners to close the pay gap, by building state-by-state momentum. The campaign is providing assistance across the country and hosts projects in California, Illinois, New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Minnesota.
In our second year of the Stronger California campaign for women’s economic security, we joined incredible partners to help drive the following wins:
- Passage of a $15/hour state-wide minimum wage
- Extension of the Domestic Worker Bill of Rights, guaranteeing overtime pay for overtime hours
- Expanded access to the nation’s first paid family leave program
- Increased funding for child care
- Repeal of the outdated, racist Maximum Family Grant Rule, denying income assistance to families living in poverty.
We co-sponsored a new California law that will ensure stronger protections against sexual violence for 200,000 janitors.
And at schools, we are partnering with districts to implement policy reforms that will help thousands of girls. We are working with partners and Oakland Unified School District on reforms to address the fact that girls of color disproportionately face discriminatory discipline and sexual harassment. We are also leading reforms at a premier technology high school to revise policies to better support girls interested in STEM subjects and fields.
The Upshot: Policy and practice reform improving the lives of millions and a clear message – We relentlessly pursue reforms needed to help vulnerable communities, no matter who is in political office.
- Win! Governor Brown Signs CA Values Act Into Law... read more
- Action Alert: Tell Gov. Brown to Sign Equal Pay Legislation Today!... read more
- Action Alert: Stop the Attacks on Students... read more
- Join us for Rockin’ for a Reason: A Benefit Concert!... read more
- Secretary DeVos is Endangering Lives: A Response to the Interim Title IX Guidance... read more
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more