Politico: How a Lawsuit Against Oregon State Could Challenge DeVos’ Title IX Rules
Politico’s daily education round-up featured a segment on mutual no-contact orders, which schools are automatically issuing under DeVos’ interim Title IX guidance. These orders effectively punish student survivors for reporting sexual assault. The segment quotes Equal Rights Advocates Senior Staff Attorney Brenda Adams:
Advocates argue such orders can have a major chilling effect on students reporting when they’re assaulted. And they say schools do actually enforce them. Brenda Adams, an attorney at Equal Rights Advocates, said she’s had multiple clients who have been accused of violating the no-contact orders and faced their own disciplinary investigations.
“The only reason they’re being issued against a victim is because she reported,” Adams said. “Then what you have is all of these women regretting that they ever came forward … They feel like they’ve done something wrong when literally all they’ve done is report to their school and seek safety.”
Equal Rights Advocates is suing Betsy DeVos and the U.S. Department of Education over new Title IX guidance that harms student survivors of sexual violence and harassment. Read more about our lawsuit here.
- 5 Simple Steps to Ensure Justice & Equity Prevail on Nov. 6... read more
- Survivors Who Want to Come Forward: Where to Start... read more
- Gov. Brown Signs ERA’s #MeToo Bills, Strongest Sexual Harassment Legislation in the Nation... read more
- ERA Calls for Halt of Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings... read more
- ERA Submits Letter to Gov. Brown on Behalf of 12 National Orgs: CA Needs to #TakeTheLead on Sexual Harassment Reforms... read more
- Urge CA Gov. Brown to Sign the #TakeTheLead Bills & Combat Sexual Harassment... read more
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more