Politico: How a Lawsuit Against Oregon State Could Challenge DeVos’ Title IX Rules
Politico’s daily education round-up featured a segment on mutual no-contact orders, which schools are automatically issuing under DeVos’ interim Title IX guidance. These orders effectively punish student survivors for reporting sexual assault. The segment quotes Equal Rights Advocates Senior Staff Attorney Brenda Adams:
Advocates argue such orders can have a major chilling effect on students reporting when they’re assaulted. And they say schools do actually enforce them. Brenda Adams, an attorney at Equal Rights Advocates, said she’s had multiple clients who have been accused of violating the no-contact orders and faced their own disciplinary investigations.
“The only reason they’re being issued against a victim is because she reported,” Adams said. “Then what you have is all of these women regretting that they ever came forward … They feel like they’ve done something wrong when literally all they’ve done is report to their school and seek safety.”
Equal Rights Advocates is suing Betsy DeVos and the U.S. Department of Education over new Title IX guidance that harms student survivors of sexual violence and harassment. Read more about our lawsuit here.
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more