Sacramento Bee: Civil rights group files lawsuit in McClatchy High alleged gang rape
Sacramento Bee covered our work representing a high student survivor of sexual assault, whose school we have alleged effectively blocked her equal access to education after her assault was reported. Hundreds of students walked out in protest of the school’s handling of the reported assault. Legal Director Jennifer Reisch is quoted:
A former C.K. McClatchy High School student who alleged that she was drugged and gang-raped by classmates at a party two years ago has filed a lawsuit against Sacramento City Unified School District, four members of the school staff and its former school resource officer.
The lawsuit was filed on March 20 in Sacramento Superior Court on behalf of the now 19-year-old graduate by Equal Rights Advocates, a San Francisco civil rights organization that focuses on sexual harassment. The suit seeks unspecified damages and for the school district to change its policies and practices to conform to state and federal laws on gender discrimination.
A story about the proposed lawsuit in the Sacramento Bee last week resulted in hundreds of McClatchy High School students walking out of class in protest Wednesday. The students are demanding that the district make changes in how it deals with sexual harassment and assault reports.
“When our client was sexually assaulted, she was forced to leave school and then subjected to months of bullying and harassment,” said Jennifer Reisch, legal director for Equal Rights Advocates. “No one at C.K. McClatchy or SCUSD took her pleas for help or the harm she was suffering seriously. She does not want that to happen to anyone else.”
Reisch said the relief the organization is seeking could include new policies on sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, required notice to students and parents of their rights and of how to file reports, mandatory training for school staff, students and parents and new procedures for reporting, investigation and taking corrective action in response to reports of sexual harassment.
- From Survivors to Activists: ERA Student Clients Speak Out, Support CA Bill
- Perspective: Enough with the Pay-Gap Victim Blaming
- Landmark Sex Discrimination Settlement for ERA Gold Miner Client
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Mary Ignatius
- Stronger CA Advocates Network Releases 2019 Agenda
- #BeHEARD Act: The sexual harassment superbill we’ve been waiting for
- Racing the Clock: How extending the deadline for sexual harassment claims changes the game
- Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018