Sacramento Bee: Civil rights group files lawsuit in McClatchy High alleged gang rape
Sacramento Bee covered our work representing a high student survivor of sexual assault, whose school we have alleged effectively blocked her equal access to education after her assault was reported. Hundreds of students walked out in protest of the school’s handling of the reported assault. Legal Director Jennifer Reisch is quoted:
A former C.K. McClatchy High School student who alleged that she was drugged and gang-raped by classmates at a party two years ago has filed a lawsuit against Sacramento City Unified School District, four members of the school staff and its former school resource officer.
The lawsuit was filed on March 20 in Sacramento Superior Court on behalf of the now 19-year-old graduate by Equal Rights Advocates, a San Francisco civil rights organization that focuses on sexual harassment. The suit seeks unspecified damages and for the school district to change its policies and practices to conform to state and federal laws on gender discrimination.
A story about the proposed lawsuit in the Sacramento Bee last week resulted in hundreds of McClatchy High School students walking out of class in protest Wednesday. The students are demanding that the district make changes in how it deals with sexual harassment and assault reports.
“When our client was sexually assaulted, she was forced to leave school and then subjected to months of bullying and harassment,” said Jennifer Reisch, legal director for Equal Rights Advocates. “No one at C.K. McClatchy or SCUSD took her pleas for help or the harm she was suffering seriously. She does not want that to happen to anyone else.”
Reisch said the relief the organization is seeking could include new policies on sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, required notice to students and parents of their rights and of how to file reports, mandatory training for school staff, students and parents and new procedures for reporting, investigation and taking corrective action in response to reports of sexual harassment.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- March with ERA on Jan. 19! (Updated)
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- Comment Guide: Speak Out Against Title IX Regulations
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible
- Our Bodies on the Line: Latina Equal Pay and #MeToo
- Next week, we vote for women’s equality in the workplace
- BREAKING: Amended Federal Lawsuit Against DeVos Shows Title IX Policy Was Based on Sexist Stereotypes, Is Unconstitutional
- 5 Simple Steps to Ensure Justice & Equity Prevail on Nov. 6