Santa Cruz Sentinel: Felton assistant principal accused of sexual misconduct in #metoo case
The Santa Cruz Sentinel covered accusations of sexual abuse levied against a 1997 San Lorenzo Valley High School assistant principal, highlighting quotes from ERA Staff Attorney Maha Ibrahim.
Maha Ibrahim, a staff attorney with San Francisco-based nonprofit Equal Rights Advocates, said it is common for victims of abuse to feel that they have more to lose than gain by going public with their experiences.
“They will often fret or hesitate or fear over the most minute of details — whether they were somehow responsible for this happening, whether or not they wanted it to happen,” Ibrahim said. “Especially when the victim is young and there’s a person who is supposed to be in a protective relationship, like an adult. Like a coach.”
What has begun to shift in recent weeks, Ibrahim said, is public perception.
“The sexual harassment is not new,” Ibrahim said. “The fact that the public is believing these women when they come forward, that’s what’s new.”
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more
- SCOTUS Blow to Workers’ Rights Demands Legislative Fix... read more