Santa Cruz Sentinel: Felton assistant principal accused of sexual misconduct in #metoo case
The Santa Cruz Sentinel covered accusations of sexual abuse levied against a 1997 San Lorenzo Valley High School assistant principal, highlighting quotes from ERA Staff Attorney Maha Ibrahim.
Maha Ibrahim, a staff attorney with San Francisco-based nonprofit Equal Rights Advocates, said it is common for victims of abuse to feel that they have more to lose than gain by going public with their experiences.
“They will often fret or hesitate or fear over the most minute of details — whether they were somehow responsible for this happening, whether or not they wanted it to happen,” Ibrahim said. “Especially when the victim is young and there’s a person who is supposed to be in a protective relationship, like an adult. Like a coach.”
What has begun to shift in recent weeks, Ibrahim said, is public perception.
“The sexual harassment is not new,” Ibrahim said. “The fact that the public is believing these women when they come forward, that’s what’s new.”
- 5 Simple Steps to Ensure Justice & Equity Prevail on Nov. 6... read more
- Survivors Who Want to Come Forward: Where to Start... read more
- Gov. Brown Signs ERA’s #MeToo Bills, Strongest Sexual Harassment Legislation in the Nation... read more
- ERA Calls for Halt of Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearings... read more
- ERA Submits Letter to Gov. Brown on Behalf of 12 National Orgs: CA Needs to #TakeTheLead on Sexual Harassment Reforms... read more
- Urge CA Gov. Brown to Sign the #TakeTheLead Bills & Combat Sexual Harassment... read more
- Join Our Action Team and Fight For California’s #MeToo Bills... read more
- We Believe You, Christine: Response to Allegations against Kavanaugh... read more
- ERA Supports McDonald’s Workers in Nationwide Strike Protesting Sexual Harassment... read more
- Take Action to #StopKavanaugh... read more