Sr. Finance & Operations Coordinator
Position: Senior Finance & Operations Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Classification: Full-Time; Exempt
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA), a national civil rights organization dedicated to protecting and expanding economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls, is seeking a collegial & collaborative Senior Finance & Operations Coordinator to support ERA’s strong financial management and growing operations. This position’s duties primarily revolve around implementing and maintaining financial systems; developing financial and human resource policies and procedures in compliance with organizational standards; management of payroll, benefits, accounts payable, expense reimbursements, banking, credit card and revenue reconciliation; and support of some human resource functions, including onboarding and benefits administration. The person in this position also supports the annual budgeting and auditing processes.
This role also includes management of strong operations and a productive work environment, including internal communication flow; procuring office supplies; ensuring ergonomically-correct furniture and equipment; maintaining files and documentation; and ensuring effective information technology and telecommunications onsite and remotely (phones, conference calls, video conference).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
General responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- In partnership with the Finance Director, manage certain components of daily financial management and the monthly close to ensure strong internal controls and audit readiness, including:
- Bi-weekly payroll – ensure accuracy of staff timekeeping, deductions and payroll and retirement savings remittance
- Bi-weekly accounts payable – ensure accuracy of coding, adequate backup and timely payments of vendors, consultants and staff reimbursements
- Monthly reconciliations of bank accounts, credit cards and revenue to ensure accurate coding, adequate backup and release of restricted assets, as appropriate
- Prepare necessary journal entries for Director of Finance approval
- Prepare and make bank deposits into appropriate accounts
- Support preparation of monthly financial statements for Finance Committee and Board meetings
- Maintain inventory of furniture and equipment and track all assets and depreciation schedules
- Manage filing and maintaining documents in compliance with ERA’s Document Retention Policy
- Complete [calendar] year-end documents and assist in the completion of retirement plan reports (5500), W-2s, 1099s
- Assist with annual audits and tax form 990 preparation
- Provide basic finance information/documents to support grant applications
Office Operations (25%)
- Support strong internal controls in handling mail, checks and confidential documents; route appropriately and maintain files
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, serve as a liaison between IT consultants, vendors and staff
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, maintain inventory of office supplies and place procurement orders; ensure strong cost controls
- Oversee equipment leases and ensure regular maintenance; troubleshoot as needed
Human Resources (10%)
- In partnership with insurance brokers, manage annual insurance renewals and open enrollment
- Support recruitment and hiring, including maintaining a current list of job posting sites and processing background checks, as appropriate
- Support strong on-boarding by meeting with new hires to complete HR paperwork (benefit enrollment, direct deposit, etc.) and complete mandatory reporter training
- Serve as primary liaison between the benefits broker and staff
- Maintain complete and confidential personnel files for current and former employees
- Maintain updates to personnel policies in the employee handbook
- Commitment to, and passion for, social justice and gender equity
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in Finance and Operations
- Accounting degree strongly preferred
- Impeccable ethics to maintain confidential information and use good judgment
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions
- Exemplary organizational skills, follow-through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Strong time management and prioritization skills to manage multiple and simultaneous deadlines
- Demonstrated customer-service and teamwork orientation with the ability to work in a compassionate and collaborative manner and effectively communicate with co-workers, clients, and coalition partners from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and communities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with accounting software; Financial Edge preferred
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Facility with other technology platforms for project management and communications such as such as Google Docs/Drive, Dropbox, Basecamp, Asana, Box, and Slack
- Excellent sense of humor and ability to thrive with a small team of feisty feminist lawyers and other professionals fighting for civil rights
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position based in San Francisco, with a starting salary range of $58-65K, depending on experience. ERA offers a work environment that values work/life balance and a competitive benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage for staff and dependents; FSA plan; generous vacation and paid sick leave; 13 paid holidays per year; and an optional a 403b retirement plan, with employer matching after one year of employment.
This is an office-based job performed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, with occasional out-of-office travel and evening work required. This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
How to Apply:
Are you ready to join our team at ERA? Please submit 3 professional references, your current resume, and a cover letter describing your interest in this particular position, connection to ERA’s mission, and where you found the job posting to email@example.com. Please list “2019 Senior Finance & Operations Coordinator Application” in the subject line of your e-mail message. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The position is open until filled.
We are a small and dedicated team of advocates, legal and otherwise. We are intersectional in our feminist practice and we lead with our values: Inclusion, Integrity, Shared Leadership. We have a highly entrepreneurial environment and encourage our team members to be problem-solvers. You can check us out on Instagram (@EqualRightsAdv) and Twitter (@EqualRightsAdv).
An Equal Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity:
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is dedicated to the diversity of our staff. We will consider applicants equally without regard to sex, gender, race, age, ethnicity, national origin, disability, marital or veteran status, medical condition, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We reasonably accommodate staff members and applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job. Individuals who need assistance or accommodation due to a disability may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Landmark Sex Discrimination Settlement for ERA Gold Miner Client
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Mary Ignatius
- Stronger CA Advocates Network Releases 2019 Agenda
- #BeHEARD Act: The sexual harassment superbill we’ve been waiting for
- Racing the Clock: How extending the deadline for sexual harassment claims changes the game
- Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible