Shellie Onstead and the UC Berkeley Women’s Field Hockey Team – 2017 Gender Justice Honoree
Equal Rights Advocates proudly recognizes the U.C. Berkley Women’s Field Hockey Team and their coach, Shellie Onstead, as 2017 Gender Justice Honorees. This award is given each year to civil rights champions who have contributed to the movement for gender equality.
ERA has been proud to stand alongside these brave women in their courageous pursuit of equitable playing facilities at U.C. Berkeley. Their four-year quest for equitable playing fields was led by inspirational team members, including Emily Catan; Courtney Hendrickson; Kristen Lee; Monica Marrazzo; Jamie Stankiewiz; and Michaela Swensen.
Coach Onstead has been a staunch advocate for her team and the sport of women’s field hockey. A California Hall of Fame inductee and former USA National Field Hockey Team player, she has coached at UC Berkeley since 1995. Coach Onstead is a five-time NorPac Conference Coach of the Year and guided the Bears to 7 NCAA appearances. She has advanced the sport at the national and international levels through her work with USA Field Hockey and as an assistant coach to the U.S. women’s team at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games.
“The UC Berkeley Women’s Field Hockey Team and the coach Shellie Onstead are an inspiration to young women across the country continuing the fight for equality on the playing fields and beyond,” said Noreen Farrell, ERA executive director.
“The experience championing sports equity at Cal with ERA has helped me, and the young women I work with, overcome a very difficult time and opened our eyes to basic rights, advocacy and what it means to stand up,” said Shellie. “To say it has been life-changing is an understatement. The ERA team has been incredibly inspiring and empowering. Thank you from all of us.”
This award will be given on June 14, 2017 at ERA’s annual gala luncheon.
- Raise Your Voice to Push Stronger California Legislation Over the Finish Line... read more
- Action Alert: We Won’t Back Down on Pay Transparency... read more
- Secretary DeVos Attacks Progress Made to End Campus Sexual Assault... read more
- ERA Disgusted by Termination of DACA... read more
- The Administration Just Made it Harder to Close the Wage Gap... read more
- Legal Director Jennifer Reisch Named Top Labor and Employment Lawyer... read more
- Enough is Enough: Confronting Sexual Harassment and Violence in the Janitorial Industry... read more
- Equal Means Equal – We Need the Equal Rights Amendment Now... read more
- ERA Sponsors Bill to Prohibit Sexual Harassment in Venture Capital... read more
- There is No Place for Violent White Supremacy in a Democracy... read more