Susan Fowler’s Uber Post Was The First Shot In A New War Against Silicon Valley Sexism
The Verge covered a new bill – SB 224 (Jackson) – sponsored by Equal Rights Advocates that would prohibit sexual harassment of entrepreneurs by venture capitalists, which was introduced in response to a growing tide of women bravely coming forward with stories of sexual harassment in Silicon Valley.
“No matter how well-intentioned, decency pledges won’t cut it,” says Noreen Farrell, the executive director of Equal Rights Advocates, the nonprofit women’s rights organization that is sponsoring SB 224. Farrell says that up until this point, venture capitalists clearly believed that sexual harassment law didn’t apply to them. The venture capitalist-entrepreneur relationship, after all, isn’t a typical workplace relationship. “In many respects it was viewed as a legal free-for-all,” she said.
- What Team ERA is Reading This Week... read more
- In This Lifetime Please: Why We Can’t Wait 216 Years to Close the Latina Pay and Wealth Gap... read more
- What Team ERA’s Reading This Week... read more
- We Stand in Solidarity with Women Leaders in CA Politics... read more
- It’s the System, Stupid: Why Weinstein Isn’t Just About Weinstein... read more
- Stronger California Advocates Network Celebrates Six Legislative Wins... read more
- Win! Governor Brown Signs CA Values Act Into Law... read more
- Action Alert: Tell Gov. Brown to Sign Equal Pay Legislation Today!... read more
- Action Alert: Stop the Attacks on Students... read more
- Join us for Rockin’ for a Reason: A Benefit Concert!... read more