Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
Confirmation hearings for Trump’s Attorney General nominee start today.
William Barr wants to rollback civil rights, ramp up the “war on drugs,” overturn Roe v. Wade, and continue the Trump Administration’s inhumane immigration policies. And he’s now potentially just days away from taking over the top justice position in our country. Unless we organize against him.
Barr’s confirmation hearings will take place Jan. 16 and Jan. 17, and the Senate will then decide whether he’s fit to become the next Attorney General of the United States. Let’s be clear: he’s not. As head of the nation’s top law enforcement agency, the Attorney General is responsible for protecting the civil rights of all people in America. Barr’s record suggests that he will do the opposite.
We have just two days to speak out and keep Barr from being confirmed. Take action with us!
30-second action: Click here to tweet at Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Lindsey Graham and Vice Chair Sen. Dianne Feinstein opposing Barr’s confirmation.
1. Call Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Graham and/or Vice Chair Sen. Feinstein.
- Sen. Graham: (202) 224-5972
- Sen. Feinstein: (202) 224-3841
2. Ask the Senator(s) to oppose Barr’s confirmation, and mention one or more of the following civil rights concerns:
- Barr has defended extreme anti-civil rights positions against migrants and asylum seekers. He expressed support for Trump’s discriminatory Muslim ban.
- Barr holds disturbing views on LGBTQI rights, and has advocated against interpreting federal laws to include gender identity, a position at odds with the holdings of the vast majority of federal courts.
- When Barr was Attorney General from 1991 to 1993, the policies he supported led to mass incarceration and enormous racial disparities that still persist in the criminal justice system.
- Barr has repeatedly called for overturning Roe v. Wade, demonstrating that he won’t be fair and impartial in upholding our country’s laws regarding reproductive health and rights.v
- Barr has demonstrated bias in the independent investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, calling into question his ability to be an impartial check on the President who nominated him.
Attorney General is above all else a civil rights job. We need an Attorney General who will protect the rights of all, not criminalize our most vulnerable.
The Senate must make it clear that they will not confirm an Attorney General who will use the office to attack communities of color, LGBTQI equality, and women’s rights. And we must make it clear to our Senators that we’re serious about holding them accountable.
What’s next? Keep up with the latest gender justice news and take action with us once a week. Join the Equal Rights Action Team for one weekly email with a quick action you can take to protect women’s rights. Sign up at equalrights.org/actionteam
- Landmark Sex Discrimination Settlement for ERA Gold Miner Client
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Mary Ignatius
- Stronger CA Advocates Network Releases 2019 Agenda
- #BeHEARD Act: The sexual harassment superbill we’ve been waiting for
- Racing the Clock: How extending the deadline for sexual harassment claims changes the game
- Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible