Yahoo News: Cheerleaders say ‘groping and sexual harassment are part of the job’ — but they’re not the only ones
We spoke with Yahoo News about pervasive sexual harassment in NFL cheerleading. ERA Director of Strategic Communications Delia Coleman stressed that sexual harassment should never be the price of a paycheck, especially in modern society.
“For any worker, especially those in roles that require a lot of contact with customers or clients, unwanted physical touching, leering, or a clearly hostile working environment is never acceptable. It’s concerning but also not surprising that women have been made to feel this way because they are explicitly instructed to tolerate it and threatened with termination if they don’t,” she says. …
Employers, including sports teams and franchises, can be liable for the sexual harassment their employees experience in the course of performing their work duties, even if the harassment is coming from a non-employer, like a customer or booser, Coleman says.
- Our Impact: Salary History Loophole Closed!... read more
- Federal Court Hearing: Equal Rights Advocates’ Case Goes Before Judge to Oppose Trump Administration’s Unconstitutional Title IX Policy... read more
- “Naw” to Kavanaugh: Take action to oppose the SCOTUS pick... read more
- How Devos’s Title IX Harms Trans & GNC Students... read more
- On the Supreme Court’s Decision in Janus v. AFSCME... read more
- Legal and Advocacy Groups Demand DeVos Withdraw False Claims About Sexual Assault Cases... read more
- Joy Kruse Gender Justice Memorial Fund... read more
- Remembering and Honoring Madeline Mixer... read more
- Trump Administration Tries to Dismiss Challenge To DeVos’ Rollback of Protections for Survivors of Sexual Violence. ERA Presses Ahead With Case.... read more
- Don’t Miss Our Gala Luncheon with Mónica Ramírez and Irma Herrera... read more