Emily McKay Johnson
Senior Policy Communications Coordinator
Area of expertise: Communications; Digital advocacy; Social media management; Event planning; Memes
You should get to know her because:
- Prior to joining Equal Rights Advocates, Emily was the Engagement Coordinator for the newly-formed Fresno EOC LGBTQ+ Resource Center, where she helped build a thriving and impactful program that continues its success today.
- She organized the first Illuminate Our Pride– a collaborative event that intentionally shines light on the diverse voices and objectives of the Central Valley’s BIPOC LGBTQIA+ change makers. For its second year in 2021, IOP transformed into Emily’s vision of a wildly successful block party in Downtown Fresno.
- Emily has worked on various political campaigns as a ghostwriter, social media manager, and general communications coordinator. She has a hefty background working with the public and enjoys making new connections.
- She is currently working on her Master’s in Public Policy at Mills College.
- Emily received her Bachelor of Arts from Fresno State in Media Communications and Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations, as well as a Minor in Political Science with a focus on Political Theory.
- Additionally, she holds an Associate of Arts degree in English from Fresno City College.
- Emily’s activities vary by the day, month, and season – you can find her reading a book (or three), cooking with her beloved kitchen gear, playing on the coveted Playstation 5, or heavily dissecting films and TV shows.
- She enjoys boops from dogs and spending time outdoors.
- Emily enjoys exploring the Bay Area with her teenage son and only plans to leave California in case of emergency.