Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
Gender justice champions from every walk of life crowded into Equal Rights Advocates’ tent at the 2019 Women’s March in Oakland. Even after spending all morning marching and chanting, people still had a lot to say when we asked them to write a postcard to Betsy DeVos about her proposed changes to Title IX:
“Dear Betsy, Can you imagine sitting in the same class as a man who had molested you — [just] because it happened off campus?” (Therese, Oakland)
“My sister is in college and I worry about her.” (Anonymous)
“My daughter was a victim of sexual assault in college and did not feel safe to come forward under the current rules. Don’t make it harder for women to advocate for themselves!” (Rick, Berkeley)
“Survivors shouldn’t have to fight to be heard!” (Kelly, Oakland)
“Universities won’t change on their own. We have to hold them accountable.” (Jamie, university scientist)
Note: As of Jan. 30, the Notice and Comment period is over.
Thanks to all 104,430 people who submitted comments! Check back here for updates on the Department of Education’s final ruling.
In the meantime, join our Action Team for once-weekly updates on gender justice news, and quick actions you can take to support equality for women and girls.
- Landmark Sex Discrimination Settlement for ERA Gold Miner Client
- Ask an Advocate: Q&A with Mary Ignatius
- Stronger CA Advocates Network Releases 2019 Agenda
- #BeHEARD Act: The sexual harassment superbill we’ve been waiting for
- Racing the Clock: How extending the deadline for sexual harassment claims changes the game
- Dear Betsy: We have a LOT to say.
- Protect Civil Rights. Stop William Barr.
- ERA’s Top 10 Gender Justice Moments of 2018
- ERA Rejects Trump Admin’s Proposed Sexual Assault Rules that Promote Rape Culture on Campus
- Giving Tuesday: On Nov. 27, #EqualityIsPawssible