Cal Matters: Private colleges want more power to police trespassers. Here’s what you need to know.

May 31. 2022

Policy Director and Deputy Legal Director Jessica Ramey Stender is featured in a Cal Matters article about a bill addressing trespassing on CA college campuses.

The open nature of campuses makes reining in trespassing “a very difficult line to walk,” said Jessica Ramey Stender, policy director and deputy legal director of Equal Rights Advocates, a gender-justice nonprofit.

“I think it shows the difficult position that universities are in, in trying to ensure that they keep their students safe,” she said.

Equal Rights Advocates also decided to support the measure, Stender said, based on what it has heard from students who are victims of sexual assault or harassment. Sometimes, the attacker will return to campus to continue harassing or even assault them again, she said.

Read the article.

Stay Connected & Take Action

Legal Advice & Resources / Consejos y Recursos legales

Know Your Rights

Learn what your rights are so you can navigate your situation and make the best decision for you.

Your Rights at Work
Your Rights at School

Contact Us

We may be able to provide free legal help for the following issues at work or school: gender and LGBTQI+ discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and pregnancy or parenting discrimination.

Apply for Legal Help

Learn More

We have trained legal advocates and lawyers on staff to guide you through your legal issue.

We're helping women, families, workers & students navigate COVID-19

Conozca Sus Derechos

Aprende sus derechos para que puedas navegar su situación y tomar la mejor decisión para ti.

Sus Derechos en el Trabajo


Posible que podamos proveer ayuda legal por gratis por los siguientes problemas en el trabajo o la escuela: discriminación basado en el género o por LGBTQI+, acoso sexual, asalto sexual, y discriminación basado en el embarazo o por ser padre/madre.


Nuestro servicio de asesoramiento por teléfono está cerrado por ahora

En este momento, no estamos recibiendo solicitudes dejadas por un recado de teléfono. Sin embargo, usted puede someter una solicitud para una consulta por la manera de hacer clic en el links "Empleo" o "Educación."