What This Moment Means to Our Movements: Connecting Community Power for Racial Justice
This is a virtual event. Attend online by registering.
In a new digital summer series of conversations, join Noreen Farrell (Executive Director, Equal Rights Advocates) for a conversation with Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-Oakland), disability justice activist and commentator Maysoon Zayid, and labor organizer Diana Hussein (UNITE Here) about challenging racist power structures and our intersecting movements for racial, gender, and economic justice. Why does this moment feel significant? And as communities rise up against racialized police violence, what is the call to action for all social justice movements?
Where: Online (register at the link above)
When: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 4 pm PT
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-Oakland) is the U.S. Representative for California’s 13th congressional district. Now in her 12th congressional term, Lee has served since 1998. Lee is a former Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus (2009–2011) and the current whip and former co-Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus (2005–2009). She is the Vice-Chair and a founding member of the LGBT Equality Caucus. Lee has played a major role in the antiwar movement, notable for her vocal criticism of the Iraq War and for being the only member of Congress to vote against the authorization of use of force following the September 11 attacks.
- Diana Hussein, Communications Specialist at UNITE Here is a Lebanese-American Communications Specialist with the union UNITE HERE, representing 300,000 hospitality workers across the US and Canada in industries such as hotels, gaming, airline, and food service. She is proudly based in Dearborn, MI.
- Maysoon Zayid, Disability Rights Activist, Comedian and Commentator, is an actress, comedian, writer, and disability advocate. She is a graduate of and a Guest Comedian in Residence at Arizona State University. Maysoon is the co-founder/co-executive producer of the New York Arab American Comedy Festival and The Muslim Funny Fest. She was a full-time On Air Contributor to Countdown with Keith Olbermann and a columnist for The Daily Beast. She has most recently appeared on Oprah Winfrey Networks In Deep Shift, 60 Minutes, and CNN. Maysoon had the number one TED Talk of 2014 and was named 1 of 100 Women of 2015 by BBC. As a professional comedian, Maysoon has performed in top New York clubs and has toured extensively at home and abroad. She was a headliner on the Arabs Gone Wild Comedy Tour and The Muslims Are Coming Tour. Maysoon appeared alongside Adam Sandler in You Don’t Mess with the the Zohan and limped in New York Fashion Week. She is a recurring character on General Hospital and the author & narrator of Find Another Dream. www.Maysoon.com.
Stay Connected & Take Action
- Get the Latest News & Information Sign up for Email Updates
- Sign Up for Action Alerts Join the Action Team
- Follow Us