SF Chronicle: Supreme Court tosses California equal-pay case, saying ruling died with judge

February 25. 2019
ERA Staff

The San Francisco Chronicle ran an article about the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to vacate a unanimous equal pay decision from last year out of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which banned employers from using an employee’s prior salary to justify pay discrepancies.  Equal Rights Advocates led amici in oral argument last year.

Senior Counsel for Workplace Justice & Public Policy Jessica Stender, who presented oral argument to the en banc Ninth Circuit panel last year on behalf of amici, was quoted in the article.

Relying on prior salary allows pay discrimination to follow women and people of color from job to job, resulting in a lifetime of lost wages, less income for families, and higher rates of poverty.

Read the full article here.

Read our statement on the Supreme Court’s action.

Stay Connected & Take Action

Legal Advice & Resources / Consejos y Recursos legales

Know Your Rights

Learn what your rights are so you can navigate your situation and make the best decision for you.

Your Rights at Work
Your Rights at School

Contact Us

We may be able to provide free legal help for the following issues at California schools: gender and LGBTQI+ discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.

Apply for Legal Help

Learn More

We have trained legal advocates and lawyers on staff to guide you through your legal issue.

Conozca Sus Derechos

Aprende sus derechos para que puedas navegar su situación y tomar la mejor decisión para ti.

Sus Derechos en el Trabajo


Posible que podamos proveer ayuda legal por gratis por los siguientes problemas en el trabajo o la escuela: discriminación basado en el género o por LGBTQI+, acoso sexual, asalto sexual, y discriminación basado en el embarazo o por ser padre/madre.


Nuestro servicio de asesoramiento por teléfono está cerrado por ahora

En este momento, no estamos recibiendo solicitudes dejadas por un recado de teléfono. Sin embargo, usted puede someter una solicitud para una consulta por la manera de hacer clic en el links "Empleo" o "Educación."