Washington Post: If you want to celebrate moms, end the ‘motherhood’ penalty

May 6. 2022

The Washington Post interviewed Noreen Farrell in anticipation of Moms Equal Pay Day.

The piece delves into the “motherhood penalty” and how the pandemic exacerbated this issue. Noreen is quoted in the piece and her recommendations on how employers and employees can help combat the pay gap for income-earning moms are detailed throughout the piece.

If it [the pandemic] did not prompt immediate change in work and care infrastructures, it has demonstrated in devastating clarity what needs to be done. — Noreen Farrell

Noreen says employers should conduct rigorous and regular analyses of pay scales to get a sense of how wages in their company are distributed and to uncover patterns that may indicate bias.

I have never met an employer who believes it is paying less based on race, sex or other factors until they look at their numbers. — Noreen Farrell

Read the article.

Stay Connected & Take Action

Legal Advice & Resources / Consejos y Recursos legales

Know Your Rights

Learn what your rights are so you can navigate your situation and make the best decision for you.

Your Rights at Work
Your Rights at School

Contact Us

We may be able to provide free legal help for the following issues at California schools: gender and LGBTQI+ discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.

Apply for Legal Help

Learn More

We have trained legal advocates and lawyers on staff to guide you through your legal issue.

Conozca Sus Derechos

Aprende sus derechos para que puedas navegar su situación y tomar la mejor decisión para ti.

Sus Derechos en el Trabajo


Posible que podamos proveer ayuda legal por gratis por los siguientes problemas en el trabajo o la escuela: discriminación basado en el género o por LGBTQI+, acoso sexual, asalto sexual, y discriminación basado en el embarazo o por ser padre/madre.


Nuestro servicio de asesoramiento por teléfono está cerrado por ahora

En este momento, no estamos recibiendo solicitudes dejadas por un recado de teléfono. Sin embargo, usted puede someter una solicitud para una consulta por la manera de hacer clic en el links "Empleo" o "Educación."